• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diving gloves

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

David Biron

Feb 2, 2003
What do you guys/girls think are the most durable diving (lobster/spearfishing) gloves made? I haven't found a pair which can last one season yet.

Definitely a kevlar pair - look for a pair which actually wraps over the top of your fingers. It's the only type that'll take the abuse I dish out ;)

Hi Dave and welcome to DB.

I pretty much figure on going through a pair a season with abalone and lobster and such. Kind of the price to play... I've been using a pair of Deep Sea's 3 mil kevlar gloves. The kevlar goes over the tips fine and the sexy velcro strap that they give you to crank them down on your wrist cuts off easy so there's less bullshit to deal with line getting caught in it and such. I think they were $25 or so. 'Course I get 10% off...;)

sven

If the water is warm you cant beat Akona's kevlar glove...no neoprene here...the whole glove is kevlar. I wont dive the rigs without them...

depends what I'm hunting. I have a set of the Akona Kevlar (bug hunter) gloves for when I'm in the Gulf and the water's hot. 93F... these gloves are bomb proof. one of my best kit purchases ever. I hope they never stop making them... maybe a pair of Spectra would be nice... (like my Hatch Gloves...)

I use a pair of Oceaner Kevlar 5mm gloves for cold water hunting. the have there kevlar too - wraped up over, helps keep them from getting destroyed when you stick your hand in a bigboy's gills. they are a little clumsy when you're shallow/surface, but on the bottom they thin out and feel really nice. they need a little glue on the stiching in places, and they they're almost dry.

I also bought a cheap 3mm fleece lined pair of ice fishing gloves. I LOVE THEM. $16cdn @ Walmart (like $10us) they last about a season, and they stick like glue to your gun handle. not terribly warm though. Had them for 2 hours in 59F water and hands started to go numb.

Reactions: gitano
I second Sven's motion for the DeepSee kevlar. I've had them for over a year and they're still in great shape. :cool:

Anderson

Anyone know if the DeepSee kevlar's run big, normal, or small?
I desperately need a new pair.

I got a pretty new pair of Henderson Gold Core 5mm gloves -the WORST gloves I've ever used!!!! :naughty

For the $60 I paid for them, you think they'd be of decent quality, right? Wrong. They stitched the seams by poking holes through the lining!!!!! It may be just my pet peeve, but when I pay for a good pair of gloves, I at least expect them to keep most of the water out. If I fill them up with water, it trickles out steadily from all the fingers. For a Hawaiian transplant in this butt-cold Nor Cal. water, that sucks. :head

I'm getting in a pair of the titanium lined deepsee 3 mils tomorrow or the next day, so wait for a report from me, if you'd like.

I have pretty big hands, normally a L in most gloves, but I wear a medium in the deepsee kevlars.

A

Originally posted by andrsn
I have pretty big hands, normally a L in most gloves, but I wear a medium in the deepsee kevlars.

Thanks guys - that's what I was most concerned about. I usually take a large too, but take a medium in these horrendous Henderson gloves :(

It'd be so nice to have warm hands for at least 1 dive up here in NorCal!!! :head

Papa Smurf's

Don't know how cold the water is where you dive but over here, the Papa Smurf (Atlas glove) rules. Kinda ugly but by far the best multi purpose glove I have used. Kevlar fell apart, leather absolutely sucks (got the scars from surgeons to prove it), but the simple cotton dipped in rubber works great. Streamlined so the fingers don't pull off after every band you load, really good grip for using a 3 prong pole spear, puncture resistant enough to grab lobster without hesitation, and only costs 5-6 dollars. Only drawback, it doesn't keep your hands warm. My dive partner refuses to use them because he claims his hands get cold. I never noticed my hands getting cold but I would assume for some of the frigid places you guys dive, you need a litttle insulation.

Brad :martial

A lot of insulation :(

Even my 5mm gloves don't keep my hands warm because of a bunch of tiny holes around the seams - if I used those smurf gloves, my hands would be blue as well :waterwork

rofl
Just one of the reason why freddiving isn't hereditary...
But then again neither is celibacy.:hmm

I use Tusa Titaniums. Good tough leather palms and fingers. It does get a bit cold in winter since they are only 3mm.

Any updates on which gloves are worth buying in 2017? this information is pretty outdated.. I searched a lot, but also want advice from people here.

The ones subsub linked above are very durable. Had mine for a year now and i will probaly be able to use them atleast one more year.
But small in size, i have small girly hands and L is very tight fitting for me and almost on the brink to too small.

Maybe not a good option if diving in cold water tuh..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT