• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIVING MASK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
O

OLD1

Is a mask with purge suitable for free diving or is there some reason for not using it?

Hi Old1,

Can't think of a technical reason why a purge valve mask shouldn't be used.

On the practical side, I've only ever seen rather large volumn masks fited with them, which would make equilising more difficult.

But if it gets you started go for it, you can always get a smaller volumn mask once you're into freediving! ;)

I truly believe that the low volume masks are now far better, more comfortable, and very 'leak proof'.Try a Mares target or Sporasub samurai if you have small facial features. If you have a large nose (as I do) then try the Beuchat mundial. I also suggest a light snorkel that straps to the mask easily - Beuchat also makes a very good, flexible snorkel that packs well. Anyhow, low volume masks are the way to go for freediving, especially if your going beyond 30 feet.

for spearfishing I know the AQA Mantis is the #1 choice by local guys in Hawaii!

ITs low volume, great visibilty, comes in silicone or rubber, feels great, never leaks, looks nice, just a great mask.

You need a wide face, yet if you are at least a teenager that isn't super skinny you can fit it, I don't fit mine to well so I gave it to my dad and let him use it, I am going to by the mini version.

------------------
Hawaii Divers!

The biggest problem with a purge mask is this: when you ascend from a freedive, it is a good idea to inhale the air in the mask as it expands, instead of letting it vent through the seals or a purge...it could mean the difference whether you make it back to the surface or not.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT