• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Rash

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ian C Coetzee

Jan 25, 2006
I was wondering if anyone could help me on this topic, or if someone has experienced the same. I get this rash when spearing in my suit and its only on my upper body ie shoulders, head and Face and its all like little inflamed pimples which are very painfull, and take like three weeks to dissapear, is there anything I could apply before diving, as I have tried various creams and nothing seems to work it allmost like a heat rash.

Do you use liquid soap to put your suit on with? It might be a reaction to this. Try different soap/product.

More importantly: do you pee in the suit? I used to have those rashes, but not as serious as you seem to have. They stopped when I quit peeing in suit after having installed a pissette onto the pants (see photo below); wash regularly your suit with bactericide soap (if you dive, say, once, a week). I normally don't dry my suits under the sun to prevent aging of the neoprene, but sometimes it helps to leave the lining on the sun, to kill the bacteria.

Also, try not to let water pool inside the suit (like around the buttocks when sitting in the boat) in hot weather.

Attachments

• pissette.jpg
    pissette.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 168
Donna said:
:eek: is that on the inside or outside of the suit :eek:

Same question....

I had similar problem the first time I dived in tropical water of 30 degrees plus. The bumps chafed and got infected, took ages to heal.

Do you suffer from other skin complaints? Sensitive skin is a bitch...

hahahahahaahahaahah wow i cant stop laughing i can just imagine that to be the outside of the suit and having like several spearfishermen walking up and down the beach in those, talk about return of the caveman :) although the name "pissette"sounds so refined :)
no thank you sir, i'd rather deal with the rash for 3 weeks,

Totally agree Marwan...I'd feel a little "wierd", the pissette makes the suit look like something from a "special" shop (nudge, nudge!):naughty

Maybe try something else to get into your suit like a cream, I think some of the guys around here use acquas cream. Or check out the story of a divers christmas bleg, there they mention a lining on the inside of the suit which makes the soap or cream unecessary. Otherwise if you get the rash again maybe use something like bactroban or other anti bacterial cream.

Now the 'pissete' Ive also been wondering about that one and came to the conclusion that it might look a bit 'funny', especially if you have to walk through a parking lot or sometthing in that line to get to your dive spot.
No offence to you but I think ill rather try and keep it in a while longer.

There are only two kinds of people in the world.

Those that pee in their wetsuit.

And those that lie about peeing in their wetsuit..

rofl

Just love the pissette!!!!
Worst case scenario is you are developing a reaction to neoprene which will get progressivly worse and you will have to stop wearing a neoprene suit. I know of one person who had this and had to quit. But it wasn`t pimples he broke out into.

But It sounds like you may have the answer already with the heat rash if you are overheating in your suit. When I overheat I get it on my shoulders especially where a harness rubs and as you say takes ages to go and irritating. I will spend dives on end trying not to overheat and typically a week or so before due to go home......bam!! shoulders covered......b"£$%^ds

Donna said:
:eek: is that on the inside or outside of the suit :eek:

Outside, obviously, but when not deployed the jacket tail hides it... And I rather scare (or please?) people of the beach;) than have my skin full of dermatitis, the name of those painful little pimples.

The problem, sometimes, is that you mustn't wear anything under your pants, and that can be a problem if you're donning it in a public place.:hmm

Last edited:
Maybe worth washing your suit in a very weak solution of chlorine based disinfectant.
I sometimes use Milton(baby bottle steriliser) and make a weak solution up, rinse the suit and leave to dry inside out in a cool dark place.
Also I have found that emulave works well instead of conditioner or soap for donning the suit.
Emulave is now called Elave and is a kind of soap substitute for people that suffer from dermatitis and so on.
http://www.emulave.com

Try changing the lubricant your using to get in your wet suit. Soap works OK but it dries out my skin, Conditioner works for me. I heard of some folks using a blend of water and KY jelly or Astro glide to get their wet suit on.

thats a very creative pissette.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT