• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving the Oriskanny (hope the spelling is right)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gdiver

Aug 14, 2006
I work for a dive shop here in Alabama,we make trips to the Oriskanny once or twice a week, i have made 8 dives on it. We went yesterday and as usual it was a awesome dive. Most of the time there are several other boats on the site,yesterday we were the only ones there.I was the one who shackeled on the wreck,so i was down there by myself for a few minutes,it was the most incredible experince i have ever felt. That HUGE ship(it is an aircraft carrier that is 888 ft. long) and i am the only one down there W/100ft. vis makes you feel mighty small. Had to post this,Good diving everyone.

Hi Gdiver,

Thanks for posting, I've been very curious about this dive. What is the normal visibility? Is there normally any current? Is there a bouy tied off to the shallow part of the superstructure? I'm a freediver and would like to dive this as a drift dive, but that only works if the current is light and not many boats are manuvering. What is your experiance?

Thanks

Connor

Conner, 1 have 8 dives on the wreck, average vis has been 80 to 100 ft. but it is the gulf and is subject to change, as far as current so far it has been light to nonexistant.Bouys are not allowed because of shipping traffic(i think).We all shackle in to the wreck and because it is in such deep water(222 ft.) there is a limited space to tie to. The top of the wreck is at about 70 ft. the flight deck is 140 and the hanger deck is 167. at recreational depths there is a lot to see and fish have already moved in. Hope this helps.

Sounds pretty good as long as you are there earlly enough to get on the shallow spot. The flight deck is a little deep for me, but most of the tower would be prime stuff. Could your dive boat handle a couple of free divers? We generally have a boogie board float/dive flag with us. Is that sufficient to keep boats from running us over?

Connor

Hi:

I've been looking for a shop to plan a dive to the Big O. Can you give me the contact information for your shop?

Thanks,
Greg

Greg the name of the shop is Down Under Dive Shop in Gulf Shores Al. The number is 251-968-3483 and the web site is info@downunder.com. This time of year the shop is closed on mondays and tuesdays but the rest of the week we are open.I have left for the summer so I do not know the days that the trip is run but you can call the shop and talk to Brian,Shane and they can give you that info. There are also some shops in Pensacola Fl. that make the trip. If we are not running on the day or days that you want to dive they can be contacted,sorry I don`t have thier contact info. Hope this helps Michael.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT