• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diving with a chamaale

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LOLO

Sep 1, 2005
Now you may be asking, what is a chamaale? But to get to that I must first tell a story of an adventure gone wrong.

I believed at one time that I was military quality and that singing up for the navy was a great thing. After the first week I realized that I was in a lot deeper than I thought and soon was wishing for a relaxing session at the local beach diving or surfing. After a bunch of people shouting and trying to fill my head with ideals, I soon found myself on the way to an island deep in the pacific where warm water, sharp coral and a ruthless sun would soon be waiting.
Upon arriving I soon found myself in a dangerous military menage-a-trios. work-bar-home. I had to get out it but with dollar lap dances and more hands on than a masseuse would ever be it would be tough. luckily I found a buddy that like to freedive and after getting over the fact that he like to talk every second (even with a snorkel in his mouth) I soon began to enjoy his company.
We soon found out that in the clear water we were able to bomb 100ft plus and that the local names for the fish were a lot different that what we were used to. A parrot fish had three different names depending on the size, and that no matter how bad we tried we always pronounced the names wrong. After a year or so of murdering countless fish and there local names, we finally started to pronounce the names correctly.
As customary on this island you can sell your fish where ever you wanted. Our favorite spot was the gas stations for there were always hungry locals and freaked out white people. And since we were selling some of the fish for about 4 dollars a pound is was a steal.
Back to the beginning!! As we were showcasing the fish one day that the local autoport we asked some locals if they wanted some fish. They asked what kind and after spieling off a dozen differnt names for parrot, goats, tangs, soldiers, trevally, octopus, clams, grouper and an assortment of others, the locals had a look of amazement on their face! We asked what was up and they replied that we were chamaale's. We had never heard of that before and asked what that meant. We were ready to kick there ass for saying something dumb, but what they said shocked us! It meant that we were half white and half chamorro! We were a bit suprised, but after they bought 100 dollars in fish, we got some beer, breadcrumbs, and headed back to the house. when we got there we fried up a lagwa(parrot fish) and stared calling each other chaamale's and having a good time.

Needless to say diving with our group of chaamales from then on was cool, we had a new found title and with shitty accents that my ex wife kept saying that we sounded like Apu, from the simpsons, we tore the little island fishies apart.
So if you are ever on a little island where the directions to it are, as I quote from a local, "get drunk in hawaii and take a left," and find a white guy that spears, knows all the names for the local fish and sounds like a lost Hindu, take it from me, it only gets better. Just be careful, after a week, you might sound like a lost Indian in the pacific too.

Nick

Hi Lolo,

Good story, I loved it!

Treasure those memories for the rest of your life. I've been in places like that and it can be truly wonderful, superb fish, the adrenaline rush of great and frequent hunting, wonderful environment, respect of the locals, some of whom are very good divers and watermen, just tremendous. It doesn't get much better than that, so appreciate your good fortune.

Only one problem and you are, unfortunately and unintentionally, a big part of it. Tropical reef fish populations won't stand much fishing preasure. Sad, but undeniable. Often the locals are relativelly few and don't have very good gear or technical knowledge, so there seem to be plenty of fish around. You (or me) show up with good gear and good knowledge and score some big catches. Soon the locals catch on, more of everybody all the time, and pretty soon, very few fish. To make a living, the locals go to more efficient gear, like fish traps. Pretty soon, no fish. Then a bunch of laws get passed eliminating spearing by foreigners because people remember and blame us (with only some justice).

The moral of the story is just shoot dinner. I know it is hard to resist loading the boat (boy, do I know!), but please keep it down.

Enjoy your island

Connor

truth of the matter is later on we started to catch on to that and about 6 months later that is what we started doing, we too found out that we were depleting our own spots and that taking less fish then meant more fish later. l am in san diego now and only shoot for a fresh dinner and that is it. But I am glad that you posted, because there are still some people that have not learned to conserve yet.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT