• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving with bulls and other sharks?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Newbie_spearo

AKA Not So Newbie Anymore
Jan 28, 2008
Just a quick question for the guys that regularly encounter sharks on their dives, more specifically bulls hammerheads and tigers.
I'm planning a trip to surfers paradise with a mate, he is a fair bit more experienced than me. My concern - for lack of a better word - is whats the best thing to do when there are sharks around? I have been told the area we are going to is pretty hardcore and we will be guaranteed to have sharks around no matter what, even if we haven't yet shot any fish. I'm excited by the idea, but never having seen anything bigger than a draughtboard shark, I'm sure I'm likely to require a new wetsuit after the trip.

Thanks in advance,

Jono

I'm in no way experienced as a spearo or one who's had experience with sharks, but I can repeat what some others have said on various forums.

If you're boat diving then get your fish into the boat as soon as you can, a dying fish is a huge attraction to a shark so kill them quickly and pop them into the boat. ALWAYS dive with a buddy as, aside from the obvious freediving safety factors, the more pairs of eyes in the water the better. And if the spot looks a bit too sharky or it gets too intense in the water hop out and find somewhere else, there's plenty of good spots around Surfers/Tweed area so you won't be too out of luck. And from what i've read, the longer you stay in a spot the more likely sharks will come in for a look. Find a spot, hit it and get out to another spot.

Learn the signals for when a shark is being aggressive (fin position etc) and learn your shark types - if a bull or tiger was anywhere in the water i'd be on the boat faster than Noah.

There will be a ton of other stuff spearo's can tell you - like I said i'm not really a spearo, just a freediver that spends too much time on the internet

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
no experience with bulls or tigers but bronze whalers large and small lots of experience i think if there is a large tiger in the water spearing is not the best idea as it would trigger a predatory response and they are not the shark to mess around with if theirs blood in the water get your fish out of the water always try to face the shark and act dominant watch the sharks body not sure of bulls and tigers but bronze whaler arch there body's and swim in a really weird manner fins down really rigid i guess when agitated or before they charge look out behind you they come out of no were they have amazing camo and can surprise you and remain calm never panic and if they get to close give them a nudge with the tip of the gun this usually sends them off in the opposite direction.

you may want to chat with charcarias as he seems to have extensive experience with sharks

Last edited:
I agree with what they have said.

Land the fish and get it out of the water as fast as you can,that can help a lot!

And watch out for groupers and other fish that like to hole up,they can cause big problems with sharks if you cant pull them out!

I guess the number one rule I've heard is get your fish out quick, and if the shark comes investigating be willing to lose your fish. If you have a gun with a reel that's a big advantage because you can let the shark chew the fish up at a safer distance. The shark will most likely go after your fish before he goes after you, so if the sharks come around and are looking predatory (if you can) keep the fish away from your body and head slowly tot he boat. Don't be this guy. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3hhqV86Kx4&feature=related]YouTube - Shark feeding frenzy on caught fish[/ame]

And number two rule. If you are not having fun, leave.:t

Hey buddy I have some experience with sharks (both bulls and tiger and blacktip as well). Now with tiger shark: they most of the time never charge and are simply as calm as swimming as when they are chewing fish... So if u get to see one of those big beast, my advise is leave the area and dnt panick but also enjoy the sight coz it might be the only time of ur life to swim with one of those magnificiant animals (i've had 2 so far and would love to swim again with them)!

2nd: Bulls: Now those are really the psychopath: Now you can find those that really dnt give a damn about u, and others that will not let u spear a single fish and will get very aggressive toward u (like charge u to almost ram u or stop in the last few feet distance from u). My advise: Same as above: if it gets too sharky then leave... If not, keep a close eyes on them, stick to ur buddies and immediately upon spearing any fish, get it out of the water (over a buoy if no boat available).

3rd: Blacktips: now those are the ones that enlightens my dives . I consider them like nice puppies, especially that the ones we get to see are mostly juveniles (1-1.5m) and we rarely get to see the mature ones (2m+) but I've had 6-7 of those "puppies" go into a frenzy within few feet of me to a speared fish (a nice sized trashing and bleeding trevally) that I was just hauling and getting ready to terminate, and within minutes was gone and all i was left were a bent spear. Blacktips are usually not that aggressive (except with speared fish around them) and simply swimming in their direction will fend them off. They dnt school, but sometimes it happens that they show up as more than one at the same time... especially juvenile ones.

Finally most important factor: SAFETY SAFETY AND SAFETY !!!!
I've speared in areas that were 3-4km of swim from the beach with no boat access and whatsoever and both encountered bulls and sharks... Now what was most important was the safety factors: Being 3 buddies carefully sticking to each other and ONLY one spearos shooting at a time.... The reason is that you are most likely to encounter shark after you've speared ur fish (especially after not stoning and shooting those types of fish that go crazy: trevallies, amberjacks, wahoos etc...) as both their blood but most importantly their trashing will attract any shark within the few km circumference of ur area... And for more than once, we had shark showing off right after shooting ur first fish to then disappear and never show up again! So as I said, remember power is in number and with a 110 or 120cm gun, u can even do some serious damage to a 2m bull if needed (though U SHOULDNT!!!!)

Finally: NEVER shoot a shark unless u really feel ur life is completely threatened (and threatened is not like simply having the shark circle u)... U can spoke them if needed (that is they charge u and get too close to u) but dnt attempt at shooting at a 2m bull or 3.5m tiger... U can lose ur gear or worse lose ur life or a limb(remember an injured animal is more dangerous than uninjured, especially if he realizes u r the source of his agony)....

Finally not to worry u: I've never had any major issue with sharks (Apart of a bull ripping off a 12lbs grouper I was holding in my hands, juveniles blacktips going into a frenzy in front of me, and a tiger chomping a a 1.5m cobia my buddy shoot and that i was getting ready to get ) ), but remember, we are intruding their natural habitats and we are not the apex predator... so respect, respect and respect!

Finally have fun, dive safe and tell us of your trip mate !

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys! There will be a boat handy, and there will definately be 2 of us potentially 3 of us in the water, hopefully a 4th on the boat. I'm probably making a bigger deal out of it than necessary but I wanted to make sure I went out there with as much knowledge as possible to make it as safe as possible. I've been told by some guys from the club who've been down there that you'll run into sharks up there with out even having shot a fish, thats how sharky the waters are. Gropers over here are protected and as far as I know we'll be targetting spanish mack's, yellow tail kingfish, wahoo and the like. no reels, 25m rig line with rob allen float. Will put fish in boat straight after dispatch.

trip will not be for 5-7weeks but I will definately post a report with photo and video if I get anything worth sharing.

Reactions: getawayFK
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…