• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Camo for rashguard

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Okis

Apr 12, 2016
So i just recently started spearfishing and right now i only own the rashguard i bought for my freediving and im not ready yet to buy a new one since the monsoon arrived a while ago so i dont get much opportunity's to hunt anyway and there isnt much camo rashguards to choose from where i live and not to mention they are overpriced.

But i've seen many good results from people doing diy camo for the wetsuits so i was thinking i might give it a try.
The rashguard is white with black/grey coloured arms and what i heard many fishes are afraid of white ? So i was thinking of covering the white parts in camo with the use of a sponge to create the patterns and maybe leave the arms since it might be hard to get a good result with black as base, or maybe add some red or brown colour there instead?

What kind of paint would i need to do this with the material of a rashguard?

I will upload the results in this thread once i get started!

tmp_29110-20160626_155343397910177.jpg
tmp_29110-20160626_1554492082766916.jpg

Water based wall and ceiling paints are impossible to wash off, so try them with some of fabric color mixed in. These paints are quite flexible which makes them good for this thing. Heck, I've even spray painted canvas wetsuits. And for the extra mile put some extra canvas strips like this:

Although I've not seen anyone as crazy as me to do the same...

Reactions: Pinniped72
I like your style Japppo, underwater Ghillie suit, I have toyed with the idea myself, what's it like for drag etc? Great idea (y)

Thanks, Pinniped72.

Drag there is obviously, but not relevant to my skills and technique. I'm mostly floating quietly along the shore and making drops to 5-8 m.

I guess the idea is to mask head movements inside the bigger volume of seaweed like movement. I dont think that the look makes a big difference.

Some fish become very curious, sometimes too curious for comfort...

It sounds ideal, how do you attach the canvas strips to the wetsuit, I assume glue of some kind?

It is a rash guard top only, not a wetsuit. Just like on the first two pics. It's easy to take off and dry separately. The strips were attached using a sewing machine. I guess a couple of stitches on a wetsuit would not be a problem either?

Thanks for the info, definitely doable on a wetsuit I would say, just stitch through the nylon outer and not all the way through the neoprene on a standard spearfishing wetsuit. Many, many thanks for the idea (y)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT