• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Merbau Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Callan

Jan 4, 2016
Hello all, Callan here. This is my first post too.
I'm aware that there have been multiple threads about building your own speargun, but I have only found two being made from Merbau/Kwila and they are very vague.

I'm looking at building a 1.2m American style gun. I have the available material of having a solid timber stock, or laminated. The timber is kiln dried and perfectly straight, even once cut it doesn't curve. Would I still be better off laminating them in the T? I plan on having two 16mm bands with it. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi, your thread will likely get more attention in the DIY subforum. I'm moving it there presently.

Thank you.
hi callan
I have built about 10 wooden guns over the years and have never laminated one or had one bend. I have had to straighten stock before dressing to size by clamping and heating with a heat gun. Moisture is the enemy of wood so I do the following.
1. I coat my guns with 4 or 5 coats of epoxy paint.
2. I fill screw holes with hot wax after epoxying before I put the screws in (this seals any cuts the screw thread puts in the epoxy)
3. I never leave my guns to dry in full sun after washing with fresh water after a dive.
4.I always store my guns standing up on their butts in a dark cool place.
5. I select wood very carefully checking to try and get straight grain running the full length of the of the stock.
good luck with your gun Callan I hope to see some pics posted here soon.

hi callan
I have built about 10 wooden guns over the years and have never laminated one or had one bend. I have had to straighten stock before dressing to size by clamping and heating with a heat gun. Moisture is the enemy of wood so I do the following.
2. I fill screw holes with hot wax after epoxying before I put the screws in (this seals any cuts the screw thread puts in the epoxy)
3. I never leave my guns to dry in full sun after washing with fresh water after a dive.
5. I select wood very carefully checking to try and get straight grain running the full length of the of the stock.

Hello. The timber I have chosen is quite moisture resistant itself, should I still seal it? It also has an incredibly straight and close grain so there shouldn't be any problems with it there.

hi callan
Also, what did you make your handles out of? Were they solid timber too or plastic?
Thanks.

I would recommend sealing this timber. I am a carpenter/builder of 4o years experience and i have used plenty of merbau mainly for exterior decking. I can assure you if it is left out in the weather unfinished an unrestrained it will absorb water and change shape.
I used a plastic handle on my guns. I like the hollow plastic handles because I can remove my pranger/clusterhead/paralyser and insert it in the handle while I am out in the water.
cluster2.jpg

The pranger comes off revealing a single point with flopper.
pranger handle.jpg

the pranger fits nicely in the handle. This setup is good for when moving from shallow water spearing to deep water. The gun shown was a cheap tube gun. I removed the aluminum tubes and replaced them with a timber stock with deep track and a timber butt. It has now become an efficient accurate rail gun.

I would recommend sealing this timber. I am a carpenter/builder of 4o years experience and i have used plenty of merbau mainly for exterior decking. I can assure you if it is left out in the weather unfinished an unrestrained it will absorb water and change shape.
I used a plastic handle on my guns. I like the hollow plastic handles because I can remove my pranger/clusterhead/paralyser and insert it in the handle while I am out in the water.
View attachment 41700
The pranger comes off revealing a single point with flopper.
View attachment 41701

the pranger fits nicely in the handle. This setup is good for when moving from shallow water spearing to deep water. The gun shown was a cheap tube gun. I removed the aluminum tubes and replaced them with a timber stock with deep track and a timber butt. It has now become an efficient accurate rail gun.
Okay thank you for this information, I'll do that. Will keep it updated and post pictures too as I go along.

I also need a spear to go with it, what is the ideal length for a 120 gun, how much overhang, and at what point does it become too unwieldy and awkward to use?

over hang is a matter of personal preference. I have a shop bought 120cm gun which has a 25cm overhang but I rarely use it because it is too slow to move around in the water. My dive buddy has a 30cm overhang on his gun he claims it is easier to aim, although he has only outfished be once in 20 dives. My main open water gun is a 100cm rollergun (2.9 times more powerful than a standard 100cm gun)that has a 15cm overhang which goes to 30cm with a pranger attached. My reef gun is a 80cm roller gun with 1cm overhang 16cm with pranger attached it is about 1.2 times more powerful than my 120cm conventional gun. this is my favorite gun as it can be used in caves on its lower power setting. I also have a dedicated cave gun a 60cm rollergun (but as powerful as a 90cm normal gun) this has no overhang except for the pranger so that it can get into really tight spaces.
You can some of see my guns here https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/roller-gun-power-boost.103703/ I have 3 roller guns and 4 conventional guns (which barely see the light of day since I built my rollerguns). good luck with your build

over hang is a matter of personal preference. I have a shop bought 120cm gun which has a 25cm overhang but I rarely use it because it is too slow to move around in the water. My dive buddy has a 30cm overhang on his gun he claims it is easier to aim, although he has only outfished be once in 20 dives. My main open water gun is a 100cm rollergun (2.9 times more powerful than a standard 100cm gun)that has a 15cm overhang which goes to 30cm with a pranger attached. My reef gun is a 80cm roller gun with 1cm overhang 16cm with pranger attached it is about 1.2 times more powerful than my 120cm conventional gun. this is my favorite gun as it can be used in caves on its lower power setting. I also have a dedicated cave gun a 60cm rollergun (but as powerful as a 90cm normal gun) this has no overhang except for the pranger so that it can get into really tight spaces.
You can some of see my guns here https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/roller-gun-power-boost.103703/ I have 3 roller guns and 4 conventional guns (which barely see the light of day since I built my rollerguns). good luck with your build
Okay thank you for this.

Finally got my piece of Merbau, beautiful piece of timber. Going to machine the spear track tomorrow. Will post pictures then.

Attachments

• 20160111_161602.jpg
    20160111_161602.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 20160111_161626-1.jpg
    20160111_161626-1.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: CCspearo
Machined the spear track today. Shaped the gun, sanded, edges rounded, profiled. Only need to do the band holes and the stock is finished. Add the trigger mech, handle and loading butt and it should be happy shooting!

Attachments

• 14525643677992082085458.jpg
    14525643677992082085458.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: CCspearo
Machined the spear track today. Shaped the gun, sanded, edges rounded, profiled. Only need to do the band holes and the stock is finished. Add the trigger mech, handle and loading butt and it should be happy shooting!

Hi Callan, the shaping looks good!

Any feedback on how the gun performed (is it weight ok in the water, or is it too heavy?) Has the merbau been stable?

Feedback appreciated.

Hi Gazz, it's not actually complete yet. Had family issues which halted production and have only just begun working on the trigger mech. Will keep you posted though!

Hi Callan,

I hope things are ok with your family.
I have started work on a merbau gun, that i hope to complete soon.

G

I haven't tested it yet, but it is heavy. It just floats.. just, without the spear. Perhaps laminated it with some lightweight timber like tassie oak.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT