• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Yidaki

lung with glass
Oct 29, 2005
Hi folks,

This is my latest monofin project. I will put some images too so that how I made it step by step..

First of all, I cut piece from PVC sheet for the mold. Dimensions are 73x72 (widthxlenght). After that, I applied mold release to pvc piece..This is a kind of chemical that we are using for boat molds.
Next thing is laying fiberglass cloths.. I used two kind of glass cloth..One is Aircloth and the other is bi-axle.. Differences between of two, bi-axle is two layer glass and has stitches..This makes it very strong.. Air cloth has nice texture, so i just use for inside and outside layer.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 347
Laying glass cloth is really easy, all we need to do it using special lamination roller to get rid off the trapped air between layers. When I was laying cloths, I started from bigger to small cloth pieces. From front of the blade to footpockets side, thickness is getting thicker.. After dried all layers, just need to sand all surface to make it smooth..And for last layer aircloth is perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 282
Next step is spraying with the gun clear coat to get nice finishing. We are using chemical for that called DURATEC..Hopefully, tomorrow...

The last thing is to find special glue to stick footpockets to blade..Tomorrow, I am gonna talk to our part service guy in marina..I have some thoughts but would like to find something different.

Cheers,
Burak

Cool! But please be careful with your lungs & hands when working with fiberglass (always use gloves & a mask)...

efattah said:
Cool! But please be careful with your lungs & hands when working with fiberglass (always use gloves & a mask)...
No worries! Photos are taken by me with self timer on the camera after every step finished. Thanks for your concerning though.

Fiberglass and resin. yum....

Try and set up a vaccume bag system. You get much better resin saturation and a stronger product.

Good work,
Jay

Hi all,

I got request from some folks from DB that how I cropped the footpockets..Here is the pics how I ruined nice Omersub footpockets.. rofl

Cheers,
Burak

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 254
Yeah, I came up with two adhesives..First one is KeelGuard kit 3M glue. We use this kit for the boats to protect keel from sand or rocks when boater beaching. U can check that product www.keelguard.com.. However, this glue comes with the kit so I used leftover from our jobs.. moreover, if this is 3M, it might be in the market in any name..
Second choice that I liked better is PLEXUS glue. That is a really kick ass stuff..They r using it in Formula boats..

Hi all, finally, I had a chance to try my monofin christmas morning in the pool and I love it.
It is exactly that what I was expecting. little bit stiff for pool but for open water at depth right on the money.
My next project using carbon and the other day i asked our supplier for the cost..I was told for yard 70 US$ (ouch). And special laying epoxy resin..
Also for this fin I want to use open heel footpockets for better performance. This Omer footpockets are very comfortable with 1mm socks but kind a loose.
I am tryin to contact with Ivan to get leaderfins hyper footpockets, i hope I can get them, they r so cool..is there anybody has experience with them?

Merry Christmas to u all...
Burak

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 327
Reactions: commonerg
Impressive, looks real solid.

Do you have any other monos to compare it against? I'd love to know how it matches up. What was the total time/cost of the project?

Reactions: Yidaki
Yeah, also I have Breier and Waterway monofins, If you compare them, mine is more solid like u stated. But, u can decide what stiffness u like to get. it is all about laying way (tampered or straight) and number of fiberglass cloths.. There are a lot of type cloths..Other thing is monofins are produced with big, expensive machines by using pressure at the factories..Like this way, u can use less resin to penetrate glass cloths and more layer . if you r laying by hand, u need to use laminating roller.
Vacuum bag set up is another way to get better job..But, u need some stuff like pump and special cloths to make this set up..little tricky....
For time element, it took one weekend to finish, One day making mold and laying glass cloths, next day sanding and giving the last shape...
All my expenses was footpockets (88 USD) coz, I am in marine business and no problem to get resin and fiberglass. But I guess, around 100 USD for it.

cheers,
Burak

hi burak! :)

how many mm the thinnest and thick piece of your fin?
and angle of footpacket/fin?

A very detailed DIY monofin video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziWxNUz2hEg]YouTube - ‪??? ??????? ????????? How to make a monofin CLASSIC‬‏[/ame]

thank you so much!!! ive been looking to make my own too i just have no idea about materials... i want mine to flex but not like a welcome mat flexes you know? should i layer the fiberglass so its gradient? can you recommend any materials?

The finblade is layered glasfiber plate that is delaminated as can be seen on other videos on youtube. Also you can see there how all the other parts are made modified glued and finished.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT