• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DiY pole spear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

freediver blue

canadian freediver
Jun 22, 2007
This is my diy pole spear, Let me know what u think !!!
SUNP0036.jpg
SUNP0032.jpg

I dont know much about pole spears but that looks like a good one.

Nice looking polespear for a home-made one.:) Whats with the wire thing through the shaft? Are you gonna cut that off & peen the ends?:confused: I'd shorten up your string a bit though - unless the polespear is really long.

I used to be a Journeyman level Machinist - Man...I could've made some killer pole spears back then! Still could. just don't have the equipment to make REALLY good stuff with.

As far as polespears go that are on the market, Gat-Ku makes a nice looking one. Looks like the machining is superior to all others. They're slip tip also looks nice and very functional.

I shoot a 6 ft. fiberglass right now - It's a Trident w/jbl 3 prong & a double flopper. It has served me well for almost two years.

TIP#1 - I change the sling when it gets worn or breaks. If you get the right kind of string ( I use nylon) just melt the ends into smooth balls and push them INSIDE of your latex sling rubber...Then get 'yerself some small electrical tie wraps - good ones not cheapies - and just tie wrap the the melted ball INTO the sling rubber tube and cut & melt smooth the tie wrap ends! When it wears or breaks close to the ends I just shorten it a little real quik. If you carry EXTRA tie wraps, extra cord, extra latex sling material and a scissors and a lighter in your dive gear it can save a days hunt. And has saved mine on several occasions.

I'm GONNA get the Gat-Ku pretty soon though!:t

Last edited:
[quote=bgill;666613]Nice looking polespear for a home-made one.:) Whats with the wire thing through the shaft? Are you gonna cut that off & peen the ends?:confused: I'd shorten up your string a bit though - unless the polespear is really long.

I used to be a Journeyman level Machinist - Man...I could've made some killer pole spears back then! Still could. just don't have the equipment to make REALLY good stuff with.

As far as polespears go that are on the market, Gat-Ku makes a nice looking one. Looks like the machining is superior to all others. They're slip tip also looks nice and very functional.

I shoot a 6 ft. fiberglass right now - It's a Trident w/jbl 3 prong & a double flopper. It has served me well for almost two years.

TIP#1 - I change the sling when it gets worn or breaks. If you get the right kind of string ( I use nylon) just melt the ends into smooth balls and push them INSIDE of your latex sling rubber...Then get 'yerself some small electrical tie wraps - good ones not cheapies - and just tie wrap the the melted ball INTO the sling rubber tube and cut & melt smooth the tie wrap ends! When it wears or breaks close to the ends I just shorten it a little real quik. If you carry EXTRA tie wraps, extra cord, extra latex sling material and a scissors and a lighter in your dive gear it can save a days hunt. And has saved mine on several occasions.

Hi bgill

Thanks for the compliants, That wire is the how i screw the end on. I can make mutiple ends if my rubber sling brakes, so I can change ends fast.When I am done screwing the end on, I take that wire out, it just slips out of a drilled hole. The pole is 6 foot, so how long should the nylon string be?

Last edited:
I like my sling band to be pretty much maxed out when its loaded - Faster & more punch then...

I am barely be able to grab the spear at the point where the head attaches when at full draw. Everyone has a different preference though. My spear is also 6 ft (without the screw on tips).

Again...Nice spear for a home made job.

awesome how did you do it what do you need to make it i want to make one now do you mind tellin me how you did it i dont care if you dont want to tell anyone just looking for something to do

awesome how did you do it what do you need to make it i want to make one now do you mind tellin me how you did it i dont care if you dont want to tell anyone just looking for something to do

Hi spearo nick

A lot of the parts on this spear were made with a lathe (Lathe (tool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)) and other tools, in order to make this project you will require a lathe. Do u have a lathe to work on spearo nick, because i will tell u step by step to making this spear!!

thanks shane

I'm a "former" Journeyman Machinist...Oh how I wish I had a lathe!

And a milling machine (bridgeport)!!!!

I would make all kinds of neat stuff...All the years as a machinist and I hardly ever made anything for myself. I did however make LOTS of cool stuff for "other folks".

Knurled handle polespears...EASY as 123!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT