• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do Riffe's warp?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
my MT 4 hasnt warped yet;) but Ive been called warped several times before:confused:

My Riffe is about 4 years old and despite the abuse it receives its still nice and straight. Although if you leave it for a couple of months the wood really does dry out a lot. A regular oiling keeps its looking nice.

:)

Originally posted by fuzz
Does the wood warp after time?

No, but I usually just roll back over and snore... ;)

Keep the gun stored upright in the corner and keep it clean and a little oil every now and then is good. For the gun too.

sven

I doubt it, but it is wood, so I won't say it can't happen. My local Riffe dealer has wood rental guns that are several years old and are in very good condition. I think that laminated wood stock Riffe uses is a lot less likely to warp than a gun with a stock made from one solid piece of wood, like the one I'm thinking of making from the piece of driftwood (teak?) 2x4 that I found on the beach today when I took the wife, #1 and the baby shelling.:)

I think if the teak wood is oven stabilized before making a gun and it is laminated construction, unless you hang it out in the sun like a salted fish, I sure hope it won't warp. Oiling sure keep the moisture content more or less stable.

The Olympic airgun also uses laminated wood for the stock, the manufacturer mentioned about stability. For these guns shooting error of 1-2 millimeters at 10 meters can mean a lost gold medal. The all weather hunting gun have been using Cycolac or Kevlar or whatever non woody for the stock to replace solid beech wood or walnut. Stock expansion in severe weather from solid wood have been known to cause accuracy error.

My house doors and frames are all teak, it is now 25 years old and have survived two major renovations plus a few big flood...:waterwork .. a few times. Teak is damn good, that's all I can say, but the price is getting horribly expensive.

However one thing I hate about wood guns even if they are teak, some area where I can't oil well seems to develop dark spot from too much use in water. Usually in the butt area. No strength loss but sure looks un-pretty.

Originally posted by Iyadiver
some area where I can't oil well seems to develop dark spot, usually in the butt area. No strength loss but sure looks un-pretty.

Yeah, I could see where that would be a bummer...rofl Hey!, try two squares of the paper next go.
(man I slay myself sometimes...:duh )

With the gun all nice and dry after a few days, take a rag away from the missus and just dunk it in the tung oil and slather the stuff on. All over everything even the metal, except the bands that you thoughtfully removed beforehand. Let sit for a half hour, then wipe off. Repeat, just like the shampoo ads tell ya and let sit for another 15 minutes or so. Wipe and you and the gun are smooth. The oil like all things Sultanny, needs some time to work it's wonders.

sven

Last edited:
well my island's a little tweaked, but Julie said to send the stock in & all will be taken care of :D

:hmm

Thats not the new gun you just ordered is it Fuzz????

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT