• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do you remember your OW instructor?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RanMor

Jun 16, 2019
Hey divers!

I was just wondering, how many of you remember your OW or AOW instructor and how much of an impact did he have on you as a diver?
Did you choose your instructor in advance or were you assigned one on the day of your course?

Absolutely... Hardcore ex-South African police task force diver. I did OW1 (NAUI) in 1990, along with a few buddies from university. 4 of us had recently completed 2 yrs military service as well. Chris assessed us as being competent, fit and healthy, (along with a medical examination by a dive doc before the course) and then let all sorts of hell loose on us in the pool - more so than what a typical NAUI course would allow today. However, he never once put any of us in real danger, and equipped all 8 of us for a lifetime of safe, enjoyable diving. I did a PADI stress and rescue course years later, which was a piece of cake in comparison!

So yes, 30 years on, and I still remember my instructor's name!

Reactions: Colliam7
Hey divers!

I was just wondering, how many of you remember your OW or AOW instructor and how much of an impact did he have on you as a diver?
Did you choose your instructor in advance or were you assigned one on the day of your course?
I remember my OW Instructor (Confined Water) well. He also ended up being my AOW Instructor. I did not specifically select him, either time, rather I signed up for a course, and he 'happened' to be the assigned Instructor. I think his impact on me as a diver was primarily the result of his emphasis on skill and precision in the water. But, he was also a reminder of the dangers of diving - he had been a routine participant in a decompression illness study, and suffered a neurological event which left him with some lower extremity weakness. It was a continuing reminder of a) the fact that diving is not without risk, even under controlled conditions, and b) even with physical limitations a diver can adapt and dive, even instruct, competently.

Never forget mine, one of the pioneers in the US. I did NAUI Basic Diver with him and progressed to Master Scuba Diver and then went on to become an instructor myself, almost 40 years ago.

Micky

He was working out of Genesis Divers at Alona Beach on the Island of Panglo in the Philippines. He was a Brill Brit and I'm sure he is still there some where. One of the local beauties got ahold of him.

Cheers Micky

I remember mine from 2005.
I knew at the time that learning to dive was a serious matter. So I passed by a few diving centers. Chatted with various instructors and went on with mine.
He was just the right balance of serious, experienced, laidback, and funny.

He truly taught me well.

I remember him well. He was me. When I bought my first scuba gear in 1954 at age 15 there were no courses and no instructors. I read the little instruction pamphlet that said not to hold my breath while ascending and jumped off my father's boat in 20 feet of water with my speargun. But unlike most students these days I had a couple of years of freedive spearfishing experience so I was acclimated to the ocean environment. I recall hitting bottom and thinking that it was really neat to be able to breath. Then I loaded my gun and went looking for a fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT