• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Do you spit it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi hunters :D

I have a bad habit of keeping the snorkel in my mouth! Do you spit it? In my opinion its not too practical to spit snorkel while hunting.... But of course lets see your ideas..

On your last inspiration just remove it from your mouth with your hand before you duck dive. At first it will feel weird but eventually you wont be able to keep it on your mouth.

Agree with Shaneshac, just remove the snorkel with your hand. Soon becomes second nature. Alternatively, just open your mouth slightly when you dive. The water then enters and floods the snorkel from the bottom, so no noisy bubbles when you descend.

I guess I could adopt this habit in few dives.. Thank you guys..

I tried both. I am to lazy to take it off everytime. When i dive too shallow i don't take it off. But when i did relatively dive deeper i take it off coz it makes extra drag, fells uncomfy, and you will need to blow up the remains water when surfaced.

Well, I will try it eventually but I dont know when :(

Murat, the shallower the water the more important it is to remove it. The bubbles will frighten fish off from a long way. They say that you don't really need to do it if fishing deeper than 10 metres as the sound will not frighten fish that deep.

Having it our of the mouth is safer in case of SWB as well

I have a bad habit of keepping mine in, but agree with Shac on his points... someday I'll learn. It just feels odd, like I need to have something in my mouth to bite on as I drop down.

To expand on shac's point about SWB, it means that if you blackout with your snorkel in, it allows an immediate path for water into your lungs. If your snorkel is out, your mouth remains closed as you blackout & chances of survival are greater.

Reactions: OceanSwimmer
I have to spit it. Sometimes when pushing the deeper depths you don't want anything between you and that first gulp of air when you break the surface

AQ

Originally posted by shaneshac
Murat, the shallower the water the more important it is to remove it. The bubbles will frighten fish off from a long way. They say that you don't really need to do it if fishing deeper than 10 metres as the sound will not frighten fish that deep.

Having it our of the mouth is safer in case of SWB as well

I see...

I also noticed something strange about wetsuit. When i dive without it, fishes did not scare from me that much(in 5-8 meter of water).But after i started to use wetsuit most of the fishes scare from me while making surface swim. They run away as soon as they see me. I am thinking my wetsuit also makes some bubles since i can even hear them. Is that the reson the fishes swam away? How can i stop this?

Originally posted by Murat
I see...

I also noticed something strange about wetsuit. When i dive without it, fishes did not scare from me that much(in 5-8 meter of water).But after i started to use wetsuit most of the fishes scare from me while making surface swim. They run away as soon as they see me. I am thinking my wetsuit also makes some bubles since i can even hear them. Is that the reson the fishes swam away? How can i stop this?

Swim naked.

Hello Memo,
I agree with shaneshac,it one of the habits which we must keep on eveytime in spearfishing.It is interesting Shaneshac that after 10 mt.s the fish dont afraid from sound,but I don't rally think that way,on every moment we must do it silent on every move.And I think we will seen by the fish a creature with antenna,maybe it will bother the fish a little bit more

Reactions: sammydive
Hey Murat, I ad the same problem: the little buggers are so sensitive and always get out of my way... One day I found that my booties keep air on them. When you are swimming underwater this bubbles are compress by the foot/fin and make lot's of noise.

Get on the water with out the hood, purge any air from your suit , and then put back the hood underwater. If is really cold you can get he same effect by laying back your head, hold out the neoprene on your forefront and expire: you will sink and all the air should get out (may need to do that twice)

Once your suit is air free, purge your booties by opening they edge while standing vertically and moving your foot until any air trap in there gets out. repeat that time to time: during surface swimming you could get some more.

If you fart all this process need to be repeated :yack ... but be cool, you can wee! :D

When you get back to the surface and get the snorkel back on your mouth, instead try to empty it with one of this big whoooosh that make you fart... and keep the fish away, just tip your head back gently while exhaling easily. Is better for you breathing too.

Instead been whoooshing your snorkel every 5 min trying to get rid of the last drops stuck on the bend :hmm , have a gentle roll to the same side you put your snorkel, and by magic it will be as dry you will never get it.

Make sure you are not loosing bubbles at the mask: you can see that when you surface... no bubble should follow you. keep a bit of negative pressure on the mask help me to avoid that.

Make your spear and flopper silent.

All this points have make a big difference on my hunting... and the fish I ambush are getting bigger.

You may think I'm paranoia but I'm building an hydrophone to check the effect of noises, like our hearts, on the fish... :duh :duh

Reactions: Murat
What an amazing amount of subtilety! I would have never have guessed that bubbles could be such problems. No wonder skilled spearos sneer at SCUBA!

Reactions: sammydive
Pablo's got some great points there! I think he's right.
The devil's in the details, as always.
Noticed the same thing snorkeling the GBR: observing the tourists who flail away in the water, fins splashing like crazy, arms thrashing wildly as they charge out to 'see the fish'---who run and hide from the noise-makers.
Hovering a bit in one spot (even on the surface) will inevitably cause some fish to come closer and check you out...I've noticed that with bait fish and juvenile WSB here. Quiet and slow, or at least graceful movement with no splashing...that's what I'm learning. Oh, and spit out the snorkle :eek:

Thanks, Pablo!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT