• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does adding a second band require cutting?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MrChuk

Apr 14, 2020
I am a new spear-fisherman so this may be a dumb question.
I have a cressi moicano speargun and when you look it up in the description it always says that it has room to add a second band. I can not find where to add a second band and was wondering if the "O" part has to have a small slice to fit in a band. I included a picture of the "O" part. Also will adding a second band affect the aim?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: Mr. X
you have two options. One is to cut the ring, if you are using ready-made rubber with wishbone in place. This is not a big deal, but make sure you round off the edges of the channel you cut so it doesn't score the rubber. The second option, is using bulk rubber and feeding it through the ring before you do the ends. This is kind of a major step, you will need a rubber, dineema strings, insertion tool etc, by the time you get to this point you will have a couple hundred $$ invested and new skill. Kind of a marriage to the sport. Rite of passage in sorts (LoL).

oh and BTw, this isn't a dumb question

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and MrChuk
you have two options. One is to cut the ring, if you are using ready-made rubber with wishbone in place. This is not a big deal, but make sure you round off the edges of the channel you cut so it doesn't score the rubber. The second option, is using bulk rubber and feeding it through the ring before you do the ends. This is kind of a major step, you will need a rubber, dineema strings, insertion tool etc, by the time you get to this point you will have a couple hundred $$ invested and new skill. Kind of a marriage to the sport. Rite of passage in sorts (LoL).

oh and BTw, this isn't a dumb question
Thank you so much for the info! That makes sense now.

Yes you can use the hole. No don't cut it, just feed the rubber through and attach the wishbone.

Yes, it may affect accuracy but not necessarily significantly. Don't overdo it, manufacturers typically but not always put thicker spears on more powerful spearguns. Rob Allen for example. Good question - and others may have better answers. New spearos often over estimate the benefits of more power and underestimate the benefits of accuracy, balance, ease and speed of loading, and simplicity.

You need to be careful of what thickness and length of the two bands that will be used simultaneously with this gun. Having two 18mm thick bands with high expansion factors will most likely cause issues with the trigger mechanism. This will lead to inaccurate aiming, trigger jamming, trigger will become difficult to press and even unexpectedly releasing the bands spontaneously. You may have to replace the original band to a smaller diameter band in addition to adding a new band. Choose wisely :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
I don't think I would add a second band to that speargun. Although you can in theory add a second band, I doubt they really designed for it (and I would say exactly the same thing for my lightweight, carbon barrel Omer XXVs). If you go for double bands, suggest you go no more than 2x14mm without specific reassurance from Cressi.

Alternatives: just fit a fresh band; fit new thicker/better bands or switch from screw in rubbers to bulk rubber, which are more powerful. You can get adapters to make screw in rubbers from bulk rubber, and to fit screw on wishbones, but I would probably try to use a bulk rubber loop through that hole in the front if taking the bulk rubber path - simpler and cheaper but perhaps more likely to upset your shooting accuracy. Actually that is what I opted to do on both my Omer XXVs. I also switched to Dyneema wishbones but mainly because that is what I started with and am accustomed to.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT