• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Does Compact Disc make a good flasher ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
Hi boys,

I am having a hard time getting even those shiny holographic type of stickers. All I could get was some gift wrapping paper (plastic)with such reflective finish, not very strong, too thin and can't stick well.

I read some people reccomending CD since it is reflective, anyone has good luck with one ?

I am rigging a flasher for this Saturday and I am using a Laser Disc, this is 12" not regular 5". In fact I am using 3 of them.
The shiny gift wrap paper, I cut and make like a squid, well not som much looking like it but I was hoping the skirt will play well in the current. What do you think people. Thanks

Do you think maybe the fishes will stop by my flasher for a Laser Disc movie..........:D :D

Iya

This is the squid look alike, rather fragile but sure look shiny. All three colours of the gift wrapping paper has shiny opposite side with pattern matching the coloured one.

Do you guys think this will work ??

Looks great Iya!

Not sure how long a line you're willing to have, but those strips would also work great spaced out a few feet and tied individually. That's how I typically make my flasher string - spaced out flashers or strips and a weighted squid or lead covered in reflective tape.

Two thumbs up Iya. No reflective tape like the kind you put on fishing lures and spoons? If not let me know...It cant cost too much too send a letter consisting of stickers to ya;)

Fuzz, where ya been buddy? Im starting to fel like a red-headed stepchild:D

Last edited:
So sweet of you Kapiten Rig................:eek:
I'll source out here first before I bug you for those shiny stickers. I will look at auto detailing shop, maybe they have such stickers. Fishing shop here is not DIY type, they sell ready to go stuff and make more money that way.

Hi Iya

The second best thing to spearfishing is mucking about with spearfishing related stuff, isnt it.
the lastest edition to my flasher is silver stips from Christmas decorations. they have a holographic effect and look great underwater. i cable tied them at the middle, and then cabled tied it again about 3cm from the top, so it looks squidish. I also put some inside the skirt of a plastic squid, to give the squid some flash.

I tried CD-R's and they were only good for one dive because they peeled etc, but they did look good underwater. i strung them through the holes (in elevation view it looks like this. the I is a CD and the - is the line. ------I------I------I------I----I) , with a piece of plate to hold them in position, and the whole lot wriggled around nicely. didnt have anything come up to it though .:hmm
I also heard that the silver stuff they use for Box-wine bags is also good. its very shiny and also quite thick. the guy who told me about it said its good for king/spanish macks.

otherwise, you must see the commotion that a few mirrors strung together causes with the kingfish (trevally)

and about the moive, apparently the doggies really like the little mermaid :D

good luck

Mark

Last edited:
hi

Iya I have tried Cds they were good but like Griff said the shiny shit comes off. Try dropping crushed coke cans down for Doggies the cans flutter down and for me can get the Tuna up a bit shallower but still hella deep.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT