• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Don, Carter Parachute Float in water - Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
Hi Don and all Carter Float enthusiast,

This is how I carry my Carter Parachute float. I took this video of my friend. Sorry the resolution not that good. I am so new to video capture card........:head and a computer dummy.

Carter Float in action

30# Doggie cruising by.........well below the diver. Notice Ice Pick Slip Tip on left of photo. Ready to fire. Notice the 4 white dots on the tail. Two from anal fin and two from the rear (???) fin. When on top of the Doggie (12 o'clock ), only the white dot of the rear fin is visible.

Last edited:
The shaft being launched out from an MT5 at 6 bands........ Notice the shot curved down, this is the low shot of that poorly seated Ice Pick, slip tip cable too long.

Notice the second counter, previous photo is at 21 seconds and this photo is still at 21 seconds. What you see on the photo below is the Doggie already shot, low belly shot. The white patch is air bubbles caused by the belly hit and the fish immediately swimming up - shocked. At this stage the shaft have entered entirely thru the belly, all the way thru the shooting line.

Now the fish took off, and the shaft already getting stuck back at the fish belly instead of the shooting line, hence you see the shooting line being tight, the Doggie was correcting its heading from going up and now turning right and heading for the bottom. I was filming rather from the top, not horizontal. Notice the video seconds counter, at 22 seconds.

The white patch on top is the Doggie and the less dense white patch below it is the bubble of the belly hit and the Doggie evasive maneuver

Last edited:
The shot taken on this fish was not very far, 5 (16.5 feet ) meters at best. The overall shooting line length is about 9 meters ( 29.7 feet ), the reel paid out another 1 meter ( 3.3 feet ). Now this is as far as my video can catch the Doggie. Still at 22 seconds video counter.

So if we calculate the speed of the Doggie from belly impact to pulling the reel line, roughly I have 1.XX seconds and a Doggie pulling some 16.5 feet or 5 meters distance ( 29.7 - 16.5 + 3.3 ) worth of shooting line. Not to mention my 3/8" x 65" shaft being heavy, my reel locking resistance and needing to breakfree the velcro grip of my Carter parachute float.

Reactions: Cingene
Now the fish started to pull the Carter parachute foat from its velcro grip, managed to release it. Since I have 1+ extra meter of line to activate the C02 cartridge, C02 is not firing yet. The float is starting to open up already due to its parachute shape, thus a bit of "braking" force already at work here.

Now pay careful attention to the float.
Look at the two lines attached to it.
The top line is the reel line, the lower line is the line to activate the C02 level via a triple strands of dental floss.
Notice the importance of the "D" ring on the float to create a 90 degrees pull on the C02 punch lever. This is important for the auto deploy.

Also note that Carter float design is good, it opens up itself when being pulled, either slow or fast. At this time the fish already broke free from the shaft but the shaft still carry the forward momentum because it was heading for the depth.

LAST PHOTO

The Carter Parchute float really opening up and the last energy pull by the spent shaft.

If the fish were still on the end of the spear, the C02 activator is ready to be pulled.

Notice the line attached to the C02 activator is at its best position, ready to fire.

The key to this Carter float good auto inflation ( D ring for 90 degrees pull is a must ) when set as mine is to allow at least 1 ( 3.3 feet ) to 1.5 meter (5 feet ) of travel from its "velcro-ded" position to full opening via water resistance before the C02 fires.

I have not yet made custom made velcro holder for the Carter float, it was from my Riffe utility float holder. What I don't like for now is : the 2 of the C02 cylinders sometime hit each other underwater and makes a loud noise. If I can make ( soon ) a custom velcro holder, that noise can be prevented and will make the float even better when folded or carried around.

Once you get used to it, bringing this Carter float around like the way I do is not troublesome at all ( for scuba I mean ). For the freediver I think a floatline + float is better. But if the current is very strong and the freediver is capable and hunt depth of greater than 70 feet, this set up is much lighter to drag around. If I can fight current with this float set up on scuba any freediver with it will outswim me easy in strong current.

IYA

Reactions: tuomo
Awesome pictures and tutorial Iya! Truly a first rate job! You really thought the design out well. Every thing seems to work perfectly.

My float is connected by the line to the gun rather than a breakaway. The activation of the CO2 cartridge must happen at the time it is pulled from its holder. I like your setup where the two events are separated.

The only thing I’m not sure about is how the float holder hangs under the gun. I would rather see it snug to the gun for free diving, kind of like what Shadowkiller was suggesting with a PVC pipe. When you get a custom holder built, please post it.

You definitely gave me some things to think about and consider in redesigning my setup.
Thanks
don

Last edited:
Major smooth points Iya.
Though it appears even with all the thought put to it to be a pretty gear intensive solution still relying on a couple of failure prone CO2 firing pins, I gotta hand it you to go through all the video documentation and later review in coming up with a rationale for the design.

Rubber band that tip and give the fish no chances.

30# doggies.... makes me moist. :cool:

Guys,

Glad u all like the tutorial and details.
I think I agree that one day the puncture pin on that C02 unit might be dull and might not work or maybe get dirty. Will keep on eye on that one - thanks. I have a spare float standing by.

Will carry rubber band as of next trip. This Sunday me going, hopefully I can see and land some big 25kg up Doggie. Wanna see how the float can handle such size.

IYA

Reactions: Pekka
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT