• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
First dive of the year!

Just back - vis awful, but almostafish and UKSpearo had five flatties between them.

Water temp was a chilling 9deg and getting changed was bum numbing!!

While I was getting changed I vowed to myself that I would wait for warmer days before I get back in, but now snug & warm at home I can’t wait for another go at those flatties… ho hum :head

flyflicker said:
...but now snug & warm at home I can’t wait for another go at those flatties… ho hum :head
That's the spirit :). I was planning to come down today but got a better offer last night (beating, duck shooting, drinks:friday & Phil Lynott special on Radio 2).

The clincher was the tides. I got really confused about the tides at Portland.:duh. New Years day the water was high at Newton's Cove when I entered around noon and then went down through 3pm-ish .. exposing rocks, etc.. So, I was expecting the the opposite tides this week (normally tides reverse same day of following week ... or so I thought). According to the internet sites -- high tide was around noon this weekend with low tide around 6pm -- the exact opposite of what I expected (and, to me, seems the same as last week). Was it really high tide around noon today? [I saw the half moon (up at about 60 degree & south) at 5pm and thought that might suggest a high tide??]. Or did I just catch one of those discontinuities in the tide that occur near the solent?

[e.g. Here are the tide times this weekend:

Sat 7th Jan 2006

04:16 0.72m 11:59 1.88m
17:12 0.64m
Sun 8th Jan 2006

00:38 1.62m 05:08 0.84m
12:55 1.70m 18:10 0.71m ]

Hey All,

I'm just getting done with my vacation time here on the sunny - but currently murky - california coast. I've been out a couple of times since I've been back. In two days, I'm back to Colchester, UK, and the closest decent shore-diving, I've been told, is Bognor Regis, which is about 2 and a half hours away with a car that I don't have.

I have a new suit that is awesome. I have a new gun. I have fins and a mask that I love, and I really, really, do not want to give up spearfishing for the next 8 months while I get my Master's degree.

Please, do any of you guys know of ANY shore spots that are close by Colchester? Near Clacton? Or would I have to drop some quid on a beater and pay you guys a long ass drive visit in Portland and Weymouth and Dorset to get my spearing in? Let me know.

deirmendjian said:
... In two days, I'm back to Colchester, UK, and the closest decent shore-diving, I've been told, is Bognor Regis, which is about 2 and a half hours away with a car that I don't have. ...

...Please, do any of you guys know of ANY shore spots that are close by Colchester? Near Clacton? Or would I have to drop some quid on a beater and pay you guys a long ass drive visit in Portland and Weymouth and Dorset to get my spearing in? Let me know.
If I lived in Colchester (god forbid;)), I'd be checking the nearby coast -- & there is a lot, close by too. I lived in & near Felixstowe & Ipswich for a couple of years -- and there is coast around there worth looking at (perhaps try somewhere near the Felixstowe Ferry or Languard Fort the coast looks interesting around Harwich too) [check out the multimap satellite images too]. It might also be worth check estuaries near Ipswich & Manningtree -- might need to be careful of tidal flows, mud, etc. -- there are some nice pubs around them that might make convenient entry points?!

A little further from, home you might check out the (Sussex?) coast south of London (that does indeed include in and around Bognor). I believe Paul & Colin of www.RobAllenEurope.com fish along that stretch pretty regularly -- check out some of the trip reports on their website.

The sea has been pretty murky in Dorset recently -- you might want to pick your time & location carefully if you are going to make that drive.

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
If I lived in Colchester (god forbid;)), I'd be checking the nearby coast -- & there is a lot, close by too. I lived in & near Felixstowe & Ipswich for a couple of years -- and there is coast around there worth looking at (perhaps try somewhere near the Felixstowe Ferry or Languard Fort the coast looks interesting around Harwich too) [check out the multimap satellite images too]. It might also be worth check estuaries near Ipswich & Manningtree -- might need to be careful of tidal flows, mud, etc. -- there are some nice pubs around them that might make convenient entry points?!

A little further from, home you might check out the (Sussex?) coast south of London (that does indeed include in and around Bognor). I believe Paul & Colin of www.RobAllenEurope.com fish along that stretch pretty regularly -- check out some of the trip reports on their website.

The sea has been pretty murky in Dorset recently -- you might want to pick your time & location carefully if you are going to make that drive.

Hey, thanks a lot for that Mr. X. I suppose I'm going to just have to be adventurous, and not be afraid to try and spear where no man has done so before.

I like the attitude... keep on spearing! This time of year is good for exploring. With fewer fish around you won't be wasting your time! I plan to keep diving (viz permitting) right through till the next season. Dorset is well worth the drive. Probably best to make a weekend of it to make the journey worthwhile...

Hi all, good call on the new thread for the new year Glowworm, the other one was getting a bit long! Hope everyone is enjoying 2006 so far, can't see that i'll be getting in before March time but will be "investing" in some exciting new gear from Portland Oceaneering soon, looking forward to the Spearo BBQs as well. Hope to see everyone soon, cheers.

Yeah i might give it a go if i get time.Might practice getting into your suitcase Surfinspear.rofl rofl

fearthespear said:
I like the attitude... keep on spearing! This time of year is good for exploring. With fewer fish around you won't be wasting your time! I plan to keep diving (viz permitting) right through till the next season. Dorset is well worth the drive. Probably best to make a weekend of it to make the journey worthwhile...

I like my attitude, too, but I don't think it's going to get me anywhere. Shore dive spots, as far as I can tell, are not spoken of in the same sentence as Essex. I went to Mersea island today and I found out why: the water is literally crap brown, not a milimeter of visibility in it, and shallow as all shit too.

The geological structures present where land meets sea in this area simply aren't conducive to water unclouded by caca. Shit!

deirmendjian said:
I like my attitude, too, but I don't think it's going to get me anywhere. Shore dive spots, as far as I can tell, are not spoken of in the same sentence as Essex. I went to Mersea island today and I found out why: the water is literally crap brown, not a milimeter of visibility in it, and shallow as all shit too.

The geological structures present where land meets sea in this area simply aren't conducive to water unclouded by caca. Shit!
I took a dip today too, although in Dorset. Not spearing, just thought I'd see if I could recover my weight belt (no joy). Almost no viz (maybe 50cm max):(! Swell -- and occasionally a fairly big wave. Pretty awful. Although the water temperature was fine -- the 5mm spearo suit is proving to be more than adequate for UK winter & it also provided good protection from the rocks.

I bought some weights in Portland Oceaneering & got some good location suggestions, which will help shape future plans. Also got an invite to the next spearo BBQ, which sounds fun. Looks like they will be carrying Picasso equipment this year (along with the existing stock of cressi-sub & RA gear). They had a cool spearing DVD on -- should probably get one of those :hmm need to get the DVD player working.[I believe they mentioned that a boat would be handy too! roflI am noticing a pattern].

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
I took a dip today too, although in Newton Cove, Dorset. Not spearing, just thought I'd see if I could recover my weight belt (no joy). Almost no viz (maybe 50cm max):(! Swell -- and occasionally a fairly big wave. Pretty awful. Although the water temperature was fine -- the 5mm spearo suit is proving to be more than adequate for UK winter & it also provided good protection from the rocks.

I bought some weights in Portland Oceaneering & got some good location suggestions, which will help shape future plans. Also got an invite to the next spearo BBQ, which sounds fun. Looks like they will be carrying Picasso equipment this year (along with the existing stock of cressi-sub & RA gear). They had a cool spearing DVD on -- should probably get one of those :hmm need to get the DVD player working.[I believe they mentioned that a boat would be handy too! roflI am noticing a pattern].

It's just like that one guy's signature on this board says: "it will take you to exotic lands, beautiful waters . . . ruin your marriage, drain your bank account"

Criminy. I should have gone to Southampton or Sussex or some university in Dorset instead of freakin' Essex. Better yet: I should have stayed home on the So. Cal. coast, chock full as it is with white sea bass, halibut, lobsters, calico and sand bass, leopard shark (they're absolutely delicious), lingcod, cabezon and more - at several different shore spots, all within less than an hour's drive from my parent's place. Life is retarded.

Greeting to all you Dorset Spearo's. Happy New Year. Anyone checking out our Guernsey thread (apart from Mr X)? Tried night diving yet? Just interested.
Dave

Don't give up on us yet...

Went rod and line fishing this weekend and it turns out that there are bass still around. Not just the odd one either! I am going in next weekend (viz permitting) to my fave bassing spot. Its got to be worth a look! I thought that there wouldn't be much about this time of year. Maybe i'm dreaming...

I read the Guernsey thread with envy Old Man Dave.Had plans to try some night dives last year but the weather was rubbish.What light source do you use??Haven't been in for months as winter is a very busy time work wise but i will make up for it in the summer.

Night diving is great, no make that, an amazing experience. In a way it's a bit too easy - if you can find the fish.
You can touch bass and mullet so dispatching then fron 6 inches range is that simple. Sole and red mullet are mainly nocternal and again if you see them they just sit there. As for squid, again you can touch them.
Personally I find at this time of year there's no point going daytime. Almost no fish, cold, poor vis.
At night I don't aim to make big catches, just to enjoy the sensation and to add a few bonus fish for the table at a barren time of year.
Gearwise I am using a £20 technisub cheapo torch with £30 worth of rechargable batteries. It is more than adaquate and can last 2 hours plus. On a clear night you can illuminate the bottom in 15ft from the surface and see fish. I also use a £10 head torch (waterproof to 30metres deep). I switch this on just to see when stringing fish etc.
However, what's been a revelation is the number and size of prime fish in 10ft of water or less. You never see them here in daylight.
Give it a go. Even if you don't catch big fish it is an amazing experience.
Dave

fearthespear said:
Don't give up on us yet...

Went rod and line fishing this weekend and it turns out that there are bass still around. Not just the odd one either! I am going in next weekend (viz permitting) to my fave bassing spot. Its got to be worth a look! I thought that there wouldn't be much about this time of year. Maybe i'm dreaming...

Be sure to post your results/experience.

Old Man Dave said:
Night diving is great, no make that, an amazing experience. In a way it's a bit too easy - if you can find the fish.
You can touch bass and mullet so dispatching then fron 6 inches range is that simple. Sole and red mullet are mainly nocternal and again if you see them they just sit there. As for squid, again you can touch them.
Personally I find at this time of year there's no point going daytime. Almost no fish, cold, poor vis.
At night I don't aim to make big catches, just to enjoy the sensation and to add a few bonus fish for the table at a barren time of year.
Gearwise I am using a £20 technisub cheapo torch with £30 worth of rechargable batteries. It is more than adaquate and can last 2 hours plus. On a clear night you can illuminate the bottom in 15ft from the surface and see fish. I also use a £10 head torch (waterproof to 30metres deep). I switch this on just to see when stringing fish etc.
However, what's been a revelation is the number and size of prime fish in 10ft of water or less. You never see them here in daylight.
Give it a go. Even if you don't catch big fish it is an amazing experience.
Dave

I would absolutely spring for an even more expensive lighting set up than that - say, where'd you get a head-lamp for just 10 quid, though - if I were anywhere NEAR decent shore-diving conditions (based in Essex). Alas . . . maybe it's time to stop griping and grab a charter boat out to where you're at!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT