• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Drastic performance decrease. Would weight training negatively affect apnea? How about smoking?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ington6

Aug 22, 2019
Hi.
I’ve been training for 4 months with solid steady increases. I just took two weeks off and have been in the gym a ton, lifting and protein. I travel a lot and I just had two weeks at home. (I’m normally pretty skinny and if I didn’t do these gym sessions, I’d probably wither away with the amount of time I’m in the ocean surfing and burning calories.

I just went to do a CO2 table and it was horrible. I normally have a 3:30 dry static but now contractions are coming on as soon as 50 seconds! I feel like this is worse than before I ever started training. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Does lifting affect apnea in such a direct way that I’m burning more o2 now? Or would lots of core exercises be limiting my ability to take large belly breathes?

Side notes, I’m not sick, eating healthy, and can’t think of anything else that would drastically affect training so poorly, except that I have smoked my herbal medicine 3 times in the last two weeks. So to the next question, how negatively would smoking affect your apnea training and freediving? I know it isn’t helping my times, but i wonder if anyone has noticed performance decrease after?

Sometimes I have noticed a negative effect from some intense lifting. If I do a really intense muscle destroying bodybuilding session it leaves me with a higher metabolism for a couple of days - particularly in my legs. I can feel my pulse in the worked out muscles. And those muscles are really stiff. So when I get in the water after that I just don't have as good a dive seesion. But it's temporary. The next dive session is back to normal. I have been weight lifting and freediving off and on for years and lately I've been doing both and my diving is better than ever. If you are losing ground maybe you are training too much. A good dive session requires a calm body and mind. I don't smoke so I can't address that.

Thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciate it. Do you feel that your performance decreases if you don’t dive or train apnea for two weeks?

Yeah, I suppose my performance does drop when I take a break. But not enough to be alarmed about - I just resume practice and get back up to speed. I'm thinking of my 3 minute statics that I usually do each dive session just so I maintain a certain level of diving fitness. Right now I've been practicing alot so 3 minutes takes focus but is doable almost everytime. But when I first start back from a long break, then even 2 minutes seems stressful. But I always get back up to 3 pretty quick. As a reference, my best in water is 4 mins, dry 5 mins.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT