• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Draughtboard Shark eating

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SageOf6Paths

Dec 20, 2013
Went out with a few friends spearfishing today and seen an interesting looking shark, so I speared him with my Hawaiian sling, gutted him out on the rocks, done some research when I got in and found he was a draughtboard shark. So we looked into eating them and most said it's not worth eating but I don't like the idea of killing something I'm not going to eat and it is edible so I skinned and filleted him and cooked him in the oven in foil with butter and then put some pepper on him when he was cooked, ate him. My roommates and I all agreed he tasted decent just didn't have the best texture, is there are way to better prepare/cook them? Would battering and frying be good because it seems like a pretty badass idea, battered and fried with some lemon juice and pepper. Thoughts? extra info on the shark/cooking and preparing it? Thanks guys.

Most shark species eliminate uric acid through the skin so skinning quickly lends a better flavor to the meat. Aslo remove and dark blood line that occurs in some species. Some use lemon juice to break down and soften the protiens, others marinate (orange or grapefruit soda pop works well) or soak in butermilk ovrnight in the fridge. I like mine grilled with lemon or lime juice. Pepper and then only salt at the very end--salt toughens it. Butter at the very end because the butter can scorch on the grill and taste unpleasant. I prefer Smaller Black Tips, but have eaten Mako, Thresher, Bonnetheads and others. Many sharks are severely pressured and so choosing to harvest one should not be done on a whim--glad you chose to consume your catch.

Reactions: SageOf6Paths
I don't believe in killing for fun, if I take the life of something I do it as humanely as possible and use/eat as much of its body as possible, thank you very much for the tips, very useful advise! I'll probably avoid it next time, was a bit of a pain to clean and prepare for eating, didn't get enough meat from it and I don't like the taste enough to warrant killing such a cool animal, I'll stick to sweep and leather jackets next time I think. Thanks for the help, if I do catch another shark now I know it should be skinned asap and use lemon juice and butter at the end.

Reactions: agbiv
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT