• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

drilling Aluminum

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Loukas Skotinos

Aug 8, 2014
Hi all !

Ive got a Picasso Cobra rail 100 and ive done abit of research and bought the roller muzle for the of the Picasso Carbon Magnum Roller and found it Fits on my Gun perfectly...However Im doubt that it will be ok if I drill four holes in the bottom part of the barrell ( hooks for the bottom part of the bands) in the gun as it Aluminium and from experience I know that when you start tampering with aluminium it starts going funny ( corrosion, weakens the structure etc.) was just wondering if anyone had some feedback or ideas !
whole point is I want to get the benefits of the roller without paying 300 pounds for a roller gun.

Many thanks ! Spear wisely be safe !
Loukas

Why four holes ?

Chances are, you'll only use 2. I only use 2 on my omer roller, one for a mid loading tab and if I know I need low power and then full on. Aluminium will corrode, on the surface and then, that very corrosion will act as a buffer.

I would strip the barrel and use 2, maybe 3 holes BUT, use a nut on the inside or those screws will be under immense tension. You could use a magnet to position some nuts on the internal side of the barrel OR, epoxy a strip of something down the barrel and then back fill it all with expanding foam. This way your barrel won't leak etc.

Thanx mate

Thanks mate ! those were my thoughts its just when I looked at how they set up the carbon roller version of my gun they had two metal plates that were attached to each other both internally and externally similar to what you proposed...I spoke with Blutech today and they said they can cut me a carbon 28mm rail barrel with the roller tabs in the mid and at the end of the barrel for 70 euros so ill proly just do that and atach my trigger and the roller muzzle still comes out cheaper...
But since you own a roller gun ill pick your brains !! how much of difference do you feel from regular railguns and are you happy with it !?

Reactions: Mr. X and myfish
Hi Loukas, can you post some pictures or links to the muzzle design...
Roller guns offer more power and less upward recoil but very often tip the guns banlance.

how much of difference do you feel from regular railguns and are you happy with it !?

I have the omer 105 roller.

I have shot the gun quite a bit and the biggest surprise for many who have picked it up, are the 14mm bands. I have a 14 on my SK40 and that's snappy enough with a 6.3mm shaft but the roller, well...

OK, model specifics aside as I have had issues with the omer, specifically a leaking muzzle which is in the queue for being fixed this winter but, overall, the roller model has some real plus points.

If you load the 105 roller to full power, it will fire the shaft bolt straight to 2 full wraps and bang the bungy. Once you get by the learning to load a roller efficiently, it's really no problem, especially if you make yourself a wishbone loading cord.

I know many have made technical comparisons between fixed length and roller guns in a barrel / barrel length test and I have shot 130's with 2 X 16mm bands that don't have the real snap, speed and punch of this 105 roller at 2 wraps.

This is why I suggested 2 tabs rear. One mid barrel rear, and one near the rear of the barrel. Sometimes I'll carry this gun and be faced with mullet or softer fish and lower vis than expected, perhaps I'm shooting in and around reef so I'll lower the power and the roller still outperforms a fixed muzzle/band arrangement.

I am in 2 minds about trying Rob Allen 14mm on the gun for next season but recent years have seen me get sidetracked away from guns much of the time to polespears. This said, I still have enough experience to know the design is sound.

However::

I'm very much a guy who likes stuff to work and keep working and finds spending money on a gun, or whatever a bind if 6 weeks later, or a year later, items break down or don't maintain this performance.

I can say, hand on heart, across 2 guns, the omer performer 14mm rubber is 'outstanding' so, consider it for any roller build. You need a band you can load, but, still snaps back FAST and true after long soak/loaded times.

OK, yes, the muzzles ARE heavier but I find this useful.

It's weird really as I own many guns. Some are easy to track, others you don't even notice. Many times you just use a gun and you take no particular notice of muzzle weight and swing etc. As mentioned, my SK40 actually floats with a spear on and yet at depth, behaves perfectly, even in swell. Other guns I own are yo-yo'ing around like a kid on a trampoline.

Things like this are important to note when making comparisons in guns as the roller, pretty much HAS to be nose heavy and the longer you go, the heavier that weight feels. It improves the shot that's for sure, especially at full power.

I can shoot some longer 120, 130 guns and have to aim slightly high to allow for the up tipping of the shaft as the recoil takes effect on the shaft. Not so much with enclosed tracks and especially enclosed track rollers, which we are talking about here.

So, in effect, I would say, with a 150cm shaft, the 105 roller is easily the power equivalent of a 130, maybe a 140 and really hits hard yet, it has the recoil of it's own length and not a longer gun. The 14mm bands are EASY to load and the accuracy is brilliant. They are heavier but, swing truer, albeit slower but, you'll not likely be using a long gun for rooting around stuff anyway and it'll be purposeful waiting.

Hi Fox !
thats the item and I was thinking of adding an extra floater if that was the case !
the other thing I thought of was...one of my friends works with fiberglass and resin and its bloody close to Carbon in strength when thick enough so I tought why not take a mold out of my cobra rail and atach the bits and pices to that instead of drilling a hole in my aluminium cobra.
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-muzzle-roller-complete/603084/p
thats the muzzle and it gun is exactly the same integrated rail 28mm barrel as mine is but carbon instead of aluminium.

Thanks alot mate It was really doing my head in about if it was worth it or not the thing is fish in the med are so scared shitless of divers its unreal and even with small fish you need the range but those two 17mm rubbers on the cobra pack a puch but they dont allow me the accuracy I need for that smaller fish ( bream / mullet / seabass ) so I wanted to keep my cobra for blueish water fishing and the roller for the smaller fish with the range but the accuracy as well.
cheers for that I totally agree if you end up spending bucketloads of pounds on a gun then it defeats the purpose.
unless your planning to hang it in your living room as decoration
cheers guys !

Reactions: myfish
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…