• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

drugs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lil Dragonfly

Jun 14, 2009
Does anyone have any info on the risks of freediving while high?

(I am looking for accurate scientific information, not "drugs are evil don't do them" fundamentalist crap)

Well, the basic problems of all medications, drugs, or enhancements is that besides their desired effects, they have also side effects, and that they put you off your normal balance. Drugs will also usually influence your perceptions. So unless you always dive under influence of drugs (and always stoned to the same degree) and hence it is your normal state, you will percept different stages of of the breath hold differently than normally. That alone represent already an enormous problem. Then you have plenty of physiological effects that may influence the diving reflex, the oxygen consumption, and other aspects important for the breath-hold. And finally drugs will often also influence your ability to evaluate the risk (or the time) properly, which can bring you easily over the safe edge.

Last edited:
PS: I also recommend entering the name of your favourite drug into the search box here on DB - there are already couple of threads with some info here. Especially for cannabis or other recreational drugs.

Considering some of the possible side effects I'd say no.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan]Dextromethorphan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I would advise against using any drugs whilst diving which alter your perceptions. Free diving is an activity where you really need to be fully alert and coherent. Diving is a pretty stimulating activity and if you need to take drugs to enhance your experience then you should probaly think about getting some counselling.

Diving is a pretty stimulating activity and if you need to take drugs to enhance your experience then you should probaly think about getting some counselling.

I am not taking drugs to "enhance my experience". Freediving is wonderful enough as it is.

I have a different reason. Not that I feel like explaining it.

Instead of passing judgement, can we please stick to the original topic?

Wasn't there a thread somewhere on DB with a study where they concluded that NMDA-receptor antagonists could protect against blackout-induced brain damage?

Considering that Namemda is used for Alzheimer’s, that study doesn't surprise me...

I have a different reason. Not that I feel like explaining it.

Instead of passing judgement, can we please stick to the original topic?

It is one thing to take drugs and quite another to take medication.

I was simply offering my opinion Lil Dragonfly. You asked about the risks of combining freediving with drugs. I doubt there have been any studies of combining illicit drug use with freediving but the risks in freediving are well documented and adding MIND ALTERING DRUGS to the mix is not something I would personally suggest. Please feel free to disagree....

Actually, depending on your diving locale, the water may be full of mind/body influencing chemicals. All sorts of studies have found waterside soils, water plants, fish and frogs with unusually high levels of estrogen, steroids, vasodilators, vasoconstrictors, methamphetamines, etc. I know that's not your question, but it is real, especially during the storm seasons when basically everything gets washed downstream to the bays, lakes and wetlands, remaining until either settlement or decomposition.

Sorry, can't help on the meds effect on freediving, I stick with organic herbs (used rarely).

Last edited:
I bet the next thread Lil Dragonfly is going to start is: rock 'n roll while freediving :chatup

I got vertigo after taking Sudafed and b/o'd in a training dive. I really did not feel well- nauseous, weak. One never knows the reaction one might have . Fortunately, I had good safetys who pulled me up but I will never take Sudafed or any antihistimines prior to diving again.

DXM can influence your cardio & respiratory systems, along with potential psychological influences. Although I would recommend not diving while potentially impaired, life is all about calculated risk. Please bear in mind though that the risks are not just your own. You may put a buddy in danger, or in the case of an accident, negatively influence the public perception of the safety of a sport that already has an unfairly bad name.

Unfortunately there's very little research into the effect of substances on the human body during voluntary apnea, likely because of the small audience and the potentially fatal consequences of even controlled studies. Though I'm not a drug user myself, I have little interest in mounting my high horse. Like anything, just make an informed and rational decision.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT