• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dry Apnea Vs Wet Apnea Time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PhilKat

Oct 10, 2012
Hi all.

I was training all year around in order to increase my apnea. Althoug that I have manage to reach 3'40'' (dry apnea), when i go for spearefishing the apnae-time decreases significantlly to 1'10'' - and i am talking at a depth of 4 meters.

The question is why is that? I know that many factors play their role- like the currents of the sea, the degree of relaxation, the temperature of the water and so on.

But deyond all these, is there any advice /tip that i should know in order to increase my apnea under water?

Please note that i tryed this at a swimming pool and i manage to stay under water of 2'30''. Why i cant do this at the sea?

Thanks all!

Relaxation. You are obviously much more comfortable in the pool than in the sea. Especially when spearing.

I just try to empty my mind when I go on a longer dive.

Also, you didn't really say whether your pool breath holds are static or dynamic. 2:30 mins sitting on the bottom of a pool and not moving will be a lot easier than swimming underwater for 2:30 mins. So when you go diving and ARE moving you can be sure your time underwater will be drastically reduced. Next time you are in a pool, GET A BUDDY, and see how long you stay under while doing dynamics - unless you are a world class freediver, I'm sure it will a lot less than 2:30!

Another thing to try is static breath-hold under exertion, in other words set out a course on the ground, hold your breath and walk the course while doing your breath-hold. Just be careful when doing this......use a buddy to monitor you.

I'm sure PhilKat found some solution since he asked the question 10 months ago :). I'm not sure apnea walk is very effective, the reason its very different from finning underwater and you're not relaxed at all. I would say practicing DYN/DNF in a swimming pool a lot is superior to apnea walk.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT