• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

dry suits?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I dont know of any spearos who use a drysuit, i think the reason is beacuse they are designed to be re filled with air once at depth to stop them 'squeezing' if you have ever done a dive with a broken inflator on your suit you will know that the suit bunches up and makes uncomfortable folds. drysuits also have a massive amount of buoyancy which would require a mass of lead to keep you down. and finaly wetsuits are much cheaper than drysuits. i hope this helps.

Greg.

yep. neeed a tank to add air during the dive, then one the assent you would have to release the air.

other issues:
- HUGE drag!
- if you dont add air you get squeezed = painfull
- expensive
- cumbersome

if its that cold a good uality opencell 2pce 7mm will be more than adequate.

DD

I've tried it before with two different suits. IF you were only going to swim around on the surfaced you might be able to get away with it, but it would be bulky and not nearly as fast in the water as a decent 5-7mm Apnea suit.

the squeeze was so bad in my Viking that I could only get down to 25' before I couldn't move my limbs and more. With my DUI TLS-350 I could manage a 35' dive before that happened, but I had on a heavy set of 40F C4 underwear to take up some of the squeeze.

I remember doing my instructor course back in 1984, when the Shell type suits first hit the market, and one of the Course Directors (simply called Master Instructors back in those days) decided to do a 75' scuba dive with his new shell suit. He didn't have an extra inflater hose on his regulator so he just "toughed' it out. at the end of the dive he took off his suit and had the most wonderful looking spiderweb bruise/squeeze all over his body.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…