• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dumpster "Hybrid"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

theonetruerat

Champion Dumpster Diver
Nov 8, 2007
I posted this over on Spearboard but I thought that I would go ahead and post it over here as well. Homemade Spearguns has been a bit slow lately.

This gun started several months ago but.. .I didn't know it at the time. I was packing up to move back from my last bout of higher education and while hauling my own trash to the dumpster I noticed that someone had thrown away a six foot section of stainless tubing. Being the packrat that I am I went ahead and hauled it home thinking "This will be good for something” Later, while doing a bit of spearing I stumbled across a short spear with its slide ring laying on the bottom of the lake. Somehow I thought "I might need this" and brought it home to. A few days later I put up the minimum bid on a JBL muzzle and wishbone on EBay and got the pair for $3.00 shipped. When the Muzzle arrived I realized that it appeared to be the exact same size as the aforementioned stainless tube. A quick check showed that it was a perfect fit. At that point I thought to myself "Self.. . You need to spend way too much time making a junk gun". And so here it is.

After drawing up a trigger that would work with the found spear I cut the mechanism out of 1/8" 316 stainless that I has scrounged from the scrap pile at a local appliance manufacturer. Realizing that I didn't want to have to epoxy a 1/8" slit I whipped up the aluminum housing out of some old trim. Considering that I assembled that housing with copper rivets there should be enough electrolytic action that the gun can double as a battery. The handle is mahogany scrap from a local cabinet shop. I carved the handle to be thin and generic since it needs to accommodate gloves and the lefty that is always borrowing my gear. I did go ahead and seal the barrel.. . the gun is fairly neutral with the spear in and floats with it out.

Still need to make up a tip.. . But that can wait. For some reason no one wants to dive right now.

Attachments

• 1 Full Side.jpg
    1 Full Side.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 2 Short Side.jpg
    2 Short Side.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 3 Top.jpg
    3 Top.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 4 Barrel Down.jpg
    4 Barrel Down.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
More Pictures of the Trigger

More Pictures of the Trigger

Attachments

• 5 Spear.JPG
    5 Spear.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 6 Trigger Cocked.JPG
    6 Trigger Cocked.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 7 Trigger Tripped.JPG
    7 Trigger Tripped.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 8 Trigger Housing.JPG
    8 Trigger Housing.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
Very cool, i'm a dumper diver too from time to time, one time I scored 10 BC's.
I cut the inflate valves out of. My best was a pair of Bose home speakers.

Love the gun, Cheers.

Don Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT