• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dusky Spinefoot...can I eat this alien fish!?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jan 19, 2016
Yesterday I speared a Dusky Spinefoot as below (sorry cant post photos)...

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=3&ID=4616&what=species&TotRec=6

http://292fc373eb1b8428f75b-7f75e5e...8e-1038867696-1301744706-4d970c42-620x348.jpg

This alien fish only made an occurrence in the Mediterranean a few years ago as it is primarily found in the Indian Ocean. I remember a friend telling me how he got stung by one of its venomous spines and it was very painful so I was very careful with it.

As I shot her it started changing colours, from black to white spots etc. and also let out a gooey white substance. What is that?! I remember him telling me that he was told that it tasted quite good cooked on BBQ, but now I am a little hesitant...

Can you pls verify that this venomous fish which changes colours & emits a gooey white substances is in fact good to eat?! I'm pretty sure I won't spear another one of them, but now would be a shame to waste it.

I live in lebanon and we eat it all the time... Very popular fish to eat and very tasty but has a taste of iodine which i dont mind amd actually like... Just be carefull so it doesn't sting you... It wont to physical harm but will hurt like hell

Reactions: Etienne Spiteri
I live in lebanon and we eat it all the time... Very popular fish to eat and very tasty but has a taste of iodine which i dont mind amd actually like... Just be carefull so it doesn't sting you... It wont to physical harm but will hurt like hell

Thanks for reply!

I have met several other spinefoots from back then, some very nice in size, but never shot them. As I was not sure I could eat them!

Also, I am not sure it is worth the hassle. I am not so sure I like the taste of iodine!

Thanks for reply!

I have met several other spinefoots from back then, some very nice in size, but never shot them. As I was not sure I could eat them!

Also, I am not sure it is worth the hassle. I am not so sure I like the taste of iodine!
I rly recommend trying them and plus shooting them with a 75 speargun is quite fun and if you know what youre doing you'll get a big diner with them... Me personally i shoot them with a 75 and i have a cage trap for them it like a 60 cm donut metal cage which works gr8 for them if you know where to put it... try it before u say no it wont do you any harm

Reactions: Etienne Spiteri
Tasty little fish that one!

The local Greek name for this fish is "Germanos" i.e. Germans. :pompous: I eat them all the time when visiting the relatives. It's kind of small, but tasty! Cage catching works best but you can spear them too, the best thing with spearing them is you can choose the bigger ones.

The poison is only in the dorsal and anal fins, so as long as you stay away from them you're good! You wont be poisoned from eating the meat.

Bon appetit! (y)

Tasty little fish that one!

The local Greek name for this fish is "Germanos" i.e. Germans. :pompous: I eat them all the time when visiting the relatives. It's kind of small, but tasty! Cage catching works best but you can spear them too, the best thing with spearing them is you can choose the bigger ones.

The poison is only in the dorsal and anal fins, so as long as you stay away from them you're good! You wont be poisoned from eating the meat.

Bon appetit! (y)
We have many names for them... Ookes... batata "potato"... Mwasta and chawke "fork"

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT