• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dynamic dry apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bahamascott

Apr 14, 2016
Greetings All,

My first post and looking for advice.
Two part question.

First, do you feel that dynamic dry apnea training will transfer into my underwater spear time?

Second, would you mind giving me some dynamic dry apnea exercises that I may use?

Best wishes
Scott

Answer to the first is yes

Dry dynamic apnea means apnea walking to me. You can do it full lung or various levels of exhale. Be careful, especially with exhales. You can BO and fall down. Walk on something soft or have a buddy walk with you.

Basicly, take a breath, stand or sit till the first urge to breathe, then start walking. See how far you get. Repeat, repeat, repeat and watch your distance and time grow as the weeks roll by.

There are lots of variations. Search apnea walking or google it.

Where in the Bahamas are you?

Connor

Thank you Connor!
Great advice I'll start working that in.

I'm living in Dallas Texas now. I'm a dual citizen and go back to The Bahamas regularly to see friends and unwind.

I'll be on Long Island, (Bahamas of course)in six weeks and spearing for three days. Trying out the new gorilla sling on hogs and whatever else I'm hungry for!
If you've never been there it's some of the best grocery shopping you can do!

When I lived there full time I speared two or three days a week. Needless to say I miss it and snapper and hogs are two of my favorite fish to eat.

Reactions: bombadil
Been to Long Island a fair amount, Salt Pond, the north end, some at Clarencetown, was on the heads on the inside of the north end two years ago, but Long Island diving was mostly a long time ago. Great diving. Never done the blue hole though.

There is other stuff that can improve your diving.

Connor

So a bit of an update after a little over a year being on here.
Go back home to the Bahamas now a few times a year to dive and spear.
Living full time in Dallas, as previously mentioned, has meant I've had to be incredibly creative with my training.

I've learned a lot from reading post on here. I've learned an equal amount about myself and the sport over the past three years.
3:30 min holds underwater have become pretty easy. I train almost exclusively Dynamic both in pool and dry. I can go full out with fins for just over a minute, meaning no glide, and with a fast leg stroke.
I'm comfortable spearing @65ft for over a minute.
Next month will make my first 100ft drop into Deans Blue Hole back home.

Thanks to everyone who post here and also to those who share such vast knowledge.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT