• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Eardrum perforation after effects!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ashtheflash

Sep 5, 2002
Hi,
I had my left ear popped on a deep dive 2 months ago. Its healed now, and although I started hitting the water recently, the funny thing is that, it equalizes easier than the other ear. The only thing is that it doesn't just pop when I equalize, but makes a crackling sound, which kind of scares me.
I asked my doctor, and he doesn't know why it equalizes better than the good ear, or why it crackles when I equalize.
Can anyone give me an honest answer. I'm contemplating perforating the good ear as well. :blackeye

Are you sure the eardrum is really healed and seals perfectly? If it leaked a bit, the equalization would be indeed simpler (some pressure passing through). I remember having some crackling sounds after (or before!) eardrum problems in the past too, but it disappeared after some time. Perhaps it means that the eardrum is not perfectly intact, or that it has some folds or wrinkles.

well
take a buddy diver, go with the head under the water, make the valsalva stuff and if there are bubbles geting out of your ear, than, it is not healed yet...

If you get someone to put their ear against your ear and equalise gently you can hear air coming from a perforation sometimes.

Having water going into the middle ear will leave you prone to some nasty infections, i'd have someone else, or the original Doctor look at it very carefully.

Thanx guys, but I had the OK from my doctor that it's completely healed. And there r no bubbles coming out when I equalize UW, or air topside. Nxt week I'm gonna attempt some deep dives and c what happens. Let u know soon!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT