• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Eating Fish that have Toad fish in there guts?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

poacher

Dec 28, 2002
Hey Guys I speared a nice flounder today - these flounder we have in Aus are one of our best eating fish :p :) then I took it home and gutted it I was about to cook it and the Luderick I also belted for dinner with my family, anyway as I gutted it I noticed a lump in its gut I took that section of Gut and squeezed out the lump it turned out to be a Toad fish or puffer fish -like the Japanese eat Fugu maybe but I know they are poisonous.
Can I eat the flounder or should I chuck it in the bin ?
I fed the roe and a bit of the fish -pectoral fins and some attached flesh to the cat but the cat that usually attacks me for fish sniffed and maybe tasted a bit then left it alone!
I put fish in the fridge not the pan If the cats dead tomorrow no way will I eat it rofl
Looks like spaggetti for tea now :waterwork I was really looking forward to flounder first or second 1 I have shot maybe I got 1 years ago memory is crook.

poacher said:
I fed the roe and a bit of the fish -pectoral fins and some attached flesh to the cat but the cat that usually attacks me for fish sniffed and maybe tasted a bit then left it alone!
I put fish in the fridge not the pan If the cats dead tomorrow no way will I eat it rofl

rofl rofl nasty!
I wouldn't eat it.. the entrails of puffer fish can be deadly..

send the insides of the stomach to [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/member.php?u=990"]View Profile: bdurrett@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: bdurrett</title>@@AMEPARAM@@bdurrett[/ame] for his cat - who seems to be misbehaving somewhat these days rofl

Rosie,

The toxins that make toadies poisonous are found in the skin and guts.

Seing as I've never heard any reports of death by flounder, I'd say that the toxins are not absorbed into the flounders flesh. If you didn't puncture the toady, there shouldn't be a problem.

But if you think its dodgy, don't risk it. I'll put the question to the boys at the museum, its an interesting one!

Incidentally, we used to have a dog (put down due to tick bite) that chased toadies in the shallows when we went on holidays to Tathra. He caught a few too, and apart from glazed eyes, he seemed to enjoy the feed. rofl

Thanks Sash
The cat had spewed this morning:( , but didn't die :( ;(
So might bin the fish forgot to wrap in plastic so it is a bit dry now bloody fridge does that hey.

Yeah also on your dog mate my cousin had a dog that ate cane toads never dided from it but was often crook and farted like you wouldn't believe -cleared the room fast:)

I reckon the dog got stoned and enjoyed the buzz Heard of some weirdo young guys licking toads for a buzz -Stuff that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT