• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Elios for scuba diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sunflower

Oct 4, 2007
Hi together,
I´ve got an Elios Apnea suit and it´s really great.

As I also need a new one for scuba diving, I´m thinking about one of Elios, too.
Does anybody have one of these?
I´d really love to get some experience..

I think that an Elios is to sensitive for scuba diving. Of course you can do it and if you only dive a couple of times with it it should be ok.

I need a new scuba suit too. And since I saw the advantages of a custom made suit (I have an Elios), I want to have a custom made scuba suit. Look at these scuba suits at Diveskin - Neoprene Creations.

I think that an Elios is to sensitive for scuba diving. Of course you can do it and if you only dive a couple of times with it it should be ok.

I do not mean to scuba dive with an apnea suit - elios also offers scuba diving suits tailor made.. I would order one of these.

Oh, sorry! I get it wrong! ;-). If you get a price from Elios for a Scuba suits it would be nice if you would post the price range from it.

Oh, sorry! I get it wrong! ;-). If you get a price from Elios for a Scuba suits it would be nice if you would post the price range from it.
I asked for 6mm and the range is from 185 to 260 Euro depending on the neoprene (they also have cheaper ones, but would not suggest these)

depends what you mean by scuba suit

I agree that an open cell smoothskin is too delicate for scuba - however a nylon lined suit would be ok, depending on how often you were to use it for scuba (twice a month or more would be too much but once every so often wouldn't be a problem)

you could get a really cheap shortie and wear it over the top for protection only....

When I compare my lined Elios with my scuba suit, the Elios is so much softer.

Especial in the area of the shoulders the demands for a scuba suit are higher and I don't dare to use my Elios for scuba until now. (I love my Elios:))

Does anybody use a freediving suit for scuba, perhaps with freediving fins?
That's a question for my next holidays. I don't want to take all my scuba and freediving stuff with me.

Hi,

I always use my Elios FREEDIVE wetsuits for scuba; even my smoothskin. It totally depends on your (not the suit) flexibility and if you are relaxed underwater. I will never use my scuba-suits even when in water multiple times a day.

I sold 1 made to measure Elios scuba suit (2x3mm) tailor made and even 1 year later the customer is thanking me convincing him to buy a Elios suit! His best suit ever......

ps, freedive fins are ok; monofin isn't :) although I tried, it works but only with my 3l bottle, hihi

Grtzzzzzz,
Pim
Immersion freedive academy and shop

Last edited:
I have often used my 5mm cressi supercomp for scuba and find it fine for shallow dives in 12C any deeper than 20m and compression becomes an issue and i get cold quickly. Also i use my garas for scuba and they are fine unless you are going into an enclosed area. I often find it puts the buddy diver into a situation of keeping up though and i usually use the frog kick rather than the normal flutter.

I spent all last summer tank diving in a cressi 5mm spearo suit. Previously I was used to a custom compressed neo dry bag (all £600+ worth). Diving in UK (well Guernsey) waters from May to November and down to 30 metres. Usually 3 x 12 litres tanks a day.

To be honest i was a bit cold at times but never too much to stop me going in again. My mate uses a cressi 6.5mm scuba suit (Lotra?) which is pretty heavy duty but i kept pace with him re hours in the water. Rest of my gear was standard scuba with hard sole boots and scuba type fins. Now using a stab whereas with the dry bag I didn't.

Advantages of the suit were it was easy to strip off when it was hot in the middle of the summer, easy to swim in, easy to pee in (compared to dry bag :naughty), needed less weight and cheap, as it was my old spearo suit anyway. Disadvantage was it seemed to suffer wind chill on cold days more than my mates scuba wet suit and miles more than a dry bag, also not goiung to last like a lined in and out scuba wet suit. I find spearo suits go 2 to 3 years max. Scuba wet suits go 10 years or more, even with hard use. Incidently my £600 dry bags used to go 3 years with semi commercial use.

Dave

Last edited:
I mean the suits Elios sell´s for scuba diving Diving

as stated before: Last year I sold 1 made to measure Elios scuba suit (2x3mm) tailor made and even 1 year later the customer is thanking me convincing him to buy a Elios SCUBA suit! His best suit ever......

Grtzzz Pim

as stated before...
Grtzzz Pim
Hey Pim - I realized you got it - but some others obviousely not.. that´s why I added the link.
It´s really good to hear that there is somebody who really likes the suit!

Would be great though to have some more answers - many people like "their" suit..

ah right... I have an elios that I use for free diving - I do dive with scuba but I've not done so yet in my elios

I love my suit, it's brilliant - really can't fault it. it's a MTM in 5 mill, high waist pants and a closed jacket with integrated hood. its open cell Heiwa with Nylon outer lining.

I think that it would be fine for scuba as the nylon lining will protect the neoprene from the wear and tear that you'd get from the gear (i.e., the BC and the weightbelt), and having looked at the Elios website they would probably do you a suit with nylon outer and probably nylon inner, although you can choose any kind of neoprene you wish. It looks to me that Elios have put that onto their website to attract as wide a customer base as possible.

on your other point on suit compression - yes, they do compress but you can say that of all neoprene, however the benefit of the MTM suits is that they flush less (the zipless ones flush the least) because of the superior fit.

I'd say that a freediving suit would be fine for scuba as well.

I have a 2 piece 5 mill Poseidon suit and a 3mill cheeapie job and they are nice also, but the elios is the best of all of them. the poseidon is good and probably more hard wearing but not much, and not enough to rate it over the elios.

hope this makes things clearer... let me know if tyou have other questions...?
cheers
Ed

Hey sunflower, do give us a heads-up on how the suit comes out yeah? Cheers.

It´s great!!
I really love it and I´m now using it all the time :)

It´s good for 14°C and up I think - less would be cold very soon - but you can order one with more than 6mm if you need.

It´s much better than any scuba suit I ever bought from a store (Mares, Cressi, Seeman I had..) and less expensive, too :t

It´s the best thing I ever bought (except my apnea suit of course)

Reactions: salibandy
That's great to hear! I would get one in a 3, maybe a 5, if I wasn't saving money to get a mono.

I know you got the suit in a 6, but what more can you tell us about the suit? Lining on the outside, open cell in?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT