• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

elios suits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

messey

Mar 20, 2006
hi i know some of you ordered new suits this year and was wonder what you had order and why. i am looking at getting one myself. i have been reading as much as i can on them but theres just so much to choose from that im not sure what would be best.
thx
vessey

messey said:
hi i know some of you ordered new suits this year and was wonder what you had order and why. i am looking at getting one myself. i have been reading as much as i can on them but theres just so much to choose from that im not sure what would be best.
thx
vessey

I chose a 3 mil pants/top with a 5 mil integrated hood. Open-cell inside and nylon outside. Warmth was my biggest priority since I have a lean build followed by abrasion resistance since I dive around a lot of rocks.

I chose 5mm high waist pants, top with integrated hood. Open cell inside, kanoko outside and medium density neoprene. I wanted a warm suit that would be able to take lots of abuse and last at least for a few seasons.

gabriel got an elios 5mm black shadow suit and it's beautiful for down to 3 degree-ish water.

if i went open cell inside, nylon or kanoko outside with integrated hood would 5mm be enough? i do dive in the early spring/late fall alot and winter a bit. also whats people thoughts on camo does it help for lake spearing?
thx
vessey

It's individual - and depends on how long you dive. I did pretty well all winter - and it gets very cold here. I was in close to two hours at times - but would generally get a chill after 45 minutes or so. The trick is hands and feet - also a henderson ice mask really helps when the water is down around 1-4c

Messey,

If you are going strictly spearo where you live - likely go with 7mm. This will really extend your water time and season. Or 7mm top with 5mm bottom. 5mm is a good all round suit and great for freediving, but you will get cold over an hour in the really cold stuff.

lee

they dont think they could make a custom suit till september because they are really busy so i think i am going to wait till winter to order a new suit. but thx for all the help
vessey

feign said:
Messey,
5mm is a good all round suit and great for freediving, but you will get cold over an hour in the really cold stuff.

I think if you build a good resistance to the cold with a good 5 mm suit you will be fine in the colder water of early spring and late fall. I dove three and a half hours in 8-9 degree water on the coast only leaving the water because my hands couldn't squeeze my nose anymore; it was not because I was cold in my suit. So get good gloves and good socks along with a good custom suit.
I use a 5 mm high waist pant and a softer neoprene then medium heiwa.

I would stick with Elios. I bought one of those diveskin suits and the cut on it was way off. He offered me my money back, but because shipping was so expensive it wasn't worth it. The suit looked strong enough, but they simply can't compete with the expert cut job on the Elios.

I have a few elios suits. I started with a 6mm opecell/smoothskin, but it is so warm I only use it for ice diving. my main suit is now a 5mm smoothskin/nylon suit that is reversible.

I also just got a new summer time suit. Blackshadow inside with nylon outer pants and smoothskin outer top in 3mm with high wasited pants and an attached hood.

My previous 3mm suit was a bare opencell/smoothskin suit that lasted only a year and a half- but during that time is was simply the best suit that I have ever owned! It was warm and VERY flexibile. If I could afford a new suit evey year that's what I would buy.rofl

If your mainly using it for spearing I would go either opencell or blackshadow on the inside and some sort of nylon on the outside. I have a 7 year old Esclapez suit like this that is still going strong- just not custom cut so I lend it out to others to use.

Jon

I have a suit from Diveskin.net and am very hapy with it. It fits perfectly and I received it home the fifth day after ordering it (yes, it was custom made). Also, Spiros was very responsive by email.

Jon said:
I would stick with Elios. I bought one of those diveskin suits and the cut on it was way off. He offered me my money back, but because shipping was so expensive it wasn't worth it. Jon

I think anyone can have a bad day, and all the companies probably screw up occasionally :(
Spiros is really well spoken of and the list of references is impressive. I wouldn't discount him entirely. I guess I like the idea of a small, personable operation. If Ellios ever got a retail distributor in America, the prices would double and we wouldn't get the wholesale deal direct from Italy. Spiros' suits sure are a decent price.
That said, I own 2 Ellios suits and see no reason to switch so far :)
Peace,
Erik Y.

I wanted to go with Elios but when they confirmed a delivery date of September that was the end of that. I have gone with Spiros (diveskin) and should have the suit by the end of the week. I also considered the Polosub and Mareasub. I must say after also trying to fit a couple of - of the shelf jobs the custom made is definitely the way to go.

Cheers

Chris

spicer said:
I have gone with Spiros (diveskin) and should have the suit by the end of the week. Cheers

Chris

Chris can you post a thread when you get the suit? Interested to know how it works out for you.
Erik Y.

i check out diveskin there cammo looks nice and the price is good but they dont have 7 mm i think ill just wait and order later in the year

messey

I can confirm I stay quite warm in my 5 mil suit even when the water is only 1C. I did quite a few long dives this winter - in fact since Jan 1 I've been in the water a couple times a week on average. Also dove through November - mostly in my 3 mil!!!

I did get a bit of a chill yesterday - bascially because I ended up having to mostly remove the bottoms underwater...

Next I'd like to get a 3mil black shadow suit - my current 3 mil is plush lined.

Erik,

Will definitely post a thread on the diveskin. Beardy and I ordered together so will have two references and some photos.

Chris

TopSub suits are great suits. Mine was made in less then a week. They have more cuts in their suit which may make for a better fit. They cost a little more about $400 Canadian landed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT