• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Empty Lung Breath Hold & Vocal Chords???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ZAquaman

Jan 22, 2005
Hello everyone,

I've noticed that when I do my empty lung breath holds I have some discomfort and a hoarseness in my vocal chords after. Does anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong? Can I damage my vocal chords?

I did a seach and couldn't find anything on this issue...

Occasionally I get very hoarse and lose my voice for a couple of minutes when I start pack stretching (inhale), but this goes after a while.

I have had some discomfort after empty lung breath holds but not to the point where I am hoarse. Perhaps there is some negative pressure affecting the vocal chords. Someone else may be able to explain this a bit further. Always be careful though when trying different techniques.

Cheers,
Ben

I have also had screwed up vocal chords after various types of statics, both inhale and exhale. Not sure why, though it always went away shortly after.

I get the exact same thing after very long personal-best-type statics. Could it have something to do with the contractions?

I've been getting the same thing, especially after long tables.

It seems to me that the problems stems from the fact that the breath is often "held" near the vocal chords, which would put some strain on them. To try and reduce it I've recently been trying to "hold" my breath elsewhere - it's not easy though.

I've actually been meaning to ask about the best to hold the breath. It seems like such a stupid question but, there you go...

I only get this when I'm doing dry training, I'm not sure if your experiences are the same.

Gordon.

Just a comment. I used to get this, especially with heavy packing.

Now I keep switching where I "hold" my breath during a long static. Sometimes it's epiglottis/vocal cords, when that get's uncomfortable, I switch to holding it with my tongue and then when my tongue gets tired, with my lips, etc...

Also when contractions start, I don't fight to keep the air behind the epiglottis, I just let it through to my cheeks (which bluge visibly every time I get a contraction), using my mouth as a sort of "breathing bag".

I never thought of it before (I was doing this just because it feels better/easier), but I haven't had the voice problem for a long time...Perhaps related?

My two bit theory is that you simply strain your vocal chords when you forcefully hold your breath and have to struggle to keep air in (with packing). But it only explains it with heavy packing.

Never had it with emptys...

Last edited:
I guess I do have the same problem "sometimes" on full lung breath holds. But always with empty lung.

Is it the contrations? Is it the way I'm holding my breath with my throat? Is it negative pressure on the vocal chords? Is it something else all together, or a combination of things? Can this be unheathy and hurt my vocal chords? I wonder if a vocal trainer (someone how works with singers) or vocal chord expert that might shed some light? If so, where would I find someone like that?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT