• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

empty lung training

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearup

Dec 28, 2021
Hi to everyone i am doing static apnea breathold training since 3 years and may best breathold time wasl 5.10 minutes(HARDLY), and i have read some posts about empty lung training so i decided to try it out.Today i did 5 empty lung breatholds the first was 40 seconds and the last one was 2 minutes,and after that, i did a full lung breathold and i got suprised with the result.My first contraction come up at around 3.15 minutes which was coming around 2.20 and my breathold time was 5.50 without forcing myself.If i had forced it further I would be able to make it even over 6.00 minutes but i concerned that something was wrong and i stopped it.So what do you think about it??if there is someone that have done it before i would be happy if he writes his expirements.Thanks in advance

If you are on dry ground unlikely you will hurt anything. My numbers are fairly similar to yours. I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.

If you are on dry ground unlikely you will hurt anything. My numbers are fairly similar to yours. I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.
Hi my friend then try it and see what the results will be after empty lung breatholds.I will wait for your results,and yes i am doing them on dry ground.

I often train using negatives. The urge to breathe comes sooner, along with faster dive response, including peripheral vasoconstriction.

Tried it 2x now. No such luck for me. Empty lung warmup produces earlier blood shift and no change to contraction onset and no change to max hold. I find blood shift with dry training very uncomfortable and makes holds more difficult and less pleasant.
Slightly unrelated I like using empty lung dry training on days when I don't have time for a a session of full lung breath holds. I also use RV dives for warmup in line diving when short on time.

Tried it 2x now. No such luck for me. Empty lung warmup produces earlier blood shift and no change to contraction onset and no change to max hold. I find blood shift with dry training very uncomfortable and makes holds more difficult and less pleasant.
Slightly unrelated I like using empty lung dry training on days when I don't have time for a a session of full lung breath holds. I also use RV dives for warmup in line diving when short on time.
Today i did breatholds again with 5 sets of empty lung breatholds for warm up ,and the results were the same my contractions began coming at 3 minutes,i do not know but maybe you should try it with more sets then 2.Next time i will do my breathold training with warm ups as i did usually before to see what is gonna happen

Today i did breatholds again with 5 sets of empty lung breatholds for warm up ,and the results were the same my contractions began coming at 3 minutes,i do not know but maybe you should try it with more sets then 2.Next time i will do my breathold training with warm ups as i did usually before to see what is gonna happen
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I did 5 empty lung warmup before full lung max hold. I did it on 2 different days, which is why I wrote 2x.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I did 5 empty lung warmup before full lung max hold. I did it on 2 different days, which is why I wrote 2x.
when i do them the first set is around 40 secs and after that each next set becomes easier and they last 10 or 20 secs more than of the set before.Did it work the same way to you?

My normal breath workout is 10 holds on 1 minute intervals. The first holds are easy, but as they get longer, recovery time gets smaller. The last one is for as long as possible; up to 1:30 for me. When the holds get close to 1 minute, the recovery 5sec, can seem pretty short. Works for me.

My normal breath workout is 10 holds on 1 minute intervals. The first holds are easy, but as they get longer, recovery time gets smaller. The last one is for as long as possible; up to 1:30 for me. When the holds get close to 1 minute, the recovery 5sec, can seem pretty short. Works for me.
My breath hold trainings are on increased time holds and static recovery times. I just changed my warm up method ,which it was square breathing's but now I found empty lung bralearholds for warming up to work better for me, but I am not sure .I will give a try again to square breathing's to see what is gonna happen..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT