• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Encounter with a Bull Shark

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JonathanT

Jan 15, 2024
Hi All Spearo's, Jonathan here, i wanted to post my experience i had last week about Bull sharks as it gave me quite a reality check!

I have only been spearing for 2 years now, and i was developing a false sense of superiority in the water, like i am some big bad hunter with a spear gun, and seeing many tiger sharks, white tips and black tips, all without incident. Well that all changed last week for me. I was hunting with my daughter (11 years old) about 100 meters pass the break in front of our home in the South Pacific. It was very calm and we went further east than we had done before. My daughter spotted a Treveli and i dove and shot it, and was pulling it up and it teared off my flopper (crappy small flopper at tip of spear (my other spear gun with better spear was not working). My daughter saw this and dove down and missed the shot. We both were surfaced and seems like the 11 year old has A LOT more common sense than me, as she said dad there's lots of blood in the water let's go back, i said no lets press a bit further and we did. Well about 5 minutes later with no fish on us, we both spotted a Shark (later found out it was a Bull) about 70 meters from us, suddenly on a dime the bull headed straight for us full speed ahead. My daughter got behind me and with no time to be scared i readied myself with my spear gun in my right hand half cocked and my left hand empty to maybe push the shark away (didnt have time to grab my knife) Well within 3 or 4 seconds i felt my arm jerk back violently and couldnt see a thing but knew this bastard was inches in front of my chest. I heard my daughter screaming as she thought i was being eaten alive. When i heard her scream i twisted around and didnt see any shark on her, meanwhile this shark dissappered, and she started to freak out thinking i am all chewed up, and splashing around to leave the area. I grabbed her and told her i am OK, and told her not to move as i wanted to see where this Bull shark was. I didnt see him, so we both swam eagerly but not crazy to our spot where we can go thru the break. It is by the GRACE OF GOD, that nothing more than mental trauma happened to us both. I am grateful we pray together every time we go out. So now the new protocol is Shark Sheilds on every time we go out of the reef. I have been about 4 times already but it is not the same. I am very twitchy, and when spearing fish i see i am almost in a panick mode to get the fish to me, and reload and see what is in my immediate area. i am hoping this changes but i was wondering if other Separo's have had these type of encounters.....

• Wow
Reactions: hydroid
Hey this is for all Spearo's encounter agressive sharks. I spoke to Amanda this morning, owner of Ocean Guardian, America division, they are the producers of the Shark Shields, which i have 2 of. Now i wasnt wearing the shark shields before as i didnt feel like i needed them with my encounters of the more tamed curious sharks. But now after being attacked by that Juvinile Bull i am wearing it anytime i am spearing outside the reef.
Now i asked her the point blank questions and got answers:
1: Has anyone waering a shar shiuled been attacked by sharks? Answer : No
2: In your & customers expiernces has the shark shield stopped charging sharks: Answer 100% yes, and then she stated the studios from 6 independent sources that verified her claims. Even in Australia you get rebates for purchasing the Sharkshields (less people bit, better for tourism....)
3: Would you trust the shark shield with your kids lifes on the line? Answer 100% yes.
4: Are the Shark Shields used in commmerical settings? Yes, there are many outfitters in the usa and other areas that rely on shark shields for there businesses., especially Commerical spear fishermens. She has many customers like this.
5: If you are using the Sharkshield 5 days a week, how long do you expect it to last before having to get a replacement? Answer 2 to 3 years.
6: When using your Sharkshields i have had the occasional shocks, which took my breath away and i had to emerge immeditately, is there ways to mitiigate this issue when diving? Answer yes if you drill a small hole in your fins and put a zip tie threw the hole and put your electrode through the zip tie, it heklps to stop it to whip around so much and reduces the chances of you being shocked....
7: How long does the battery last per session in the water? Answer 6 to 7 hours.
I beleive Amanda was speaking the truth and i appreciate her information. I am not repping the sharkshields or anything of that nature, i am just relaying the info....
I hope this helps any of you out there be safer in the water.
Again i was spearing for a short while (2 years on a 4 to 5 times a week basis) and never encountered any shark attack. It was only last week where i encountered such an agreesive Bull Shark attack. I am wearing my sharkshield from now on outside the reefs....

Hi All Spearo's, Jonathan here, i wanted to post my experience i had last week about Bull sharks as it gave me quite a reality check!

I have only been spearing for 2 years now, and i was developing a false sense of superiority in the water, like i am some big bad hunter with a spear gun, and seeing many tiger sharks, white tips and black tips, all without incident. Well that all changed last week for me. I was hunting with my daughter (11 years old) about 100 meters pass the break in front of our home in the South Pacific. It was very calm and we went further east than we had done before. My daughter spotted a Treveli and i dove and shot it, and was pulling it up and it teared off my flopper (crappy small flopper at tip of spear (my other spear gun with better spear was not working). My daughter saw this and dove down and missed the shot. We both were surfaced and seems like the 11 year old has A LOT more common sense than me, as she said dad there's lots of blood in the water let's go back, i said no lets press a bit further and we did. Well about 5 minutes later with no fish on us, we both spotted a Shark (later found out it was a Bull) about 70 meters from us, suddenly on a dime the bull headed straight for us full speed ahead. My daughter got behind me and with no time to be scared i readied myself with my spear gun in my right hand half cocked and my left hand empty to maybe push the shark away (didnt have time to grab my knife) Well within 3 or 4 seconds i felt my arm jerk back violently and couldnt see a thing but knew this bastard was inches in front of my chest. I heard my daughter screaming as she thought i was being eaten alive. When i heard her scream i twisted around and didnt see any shark on her, meanwhile this shark dissappered, and she started to freak out thinking i am all chewed up, and splashing around to leave the area. I grabbed her and told her i am OK, and told her not to move as i wanted to see where this Bull shark was. I didnt see him, so we both swam eagerly but not crazy to our spot where we can go thru the break. It is by the GRACE OF GOD, that nothing more than mental trauma happened to us both. I am grateful we pray together every time we go out. So now the new protocol is Shark Sheilds on every time we go out of the reef. I have been about 4 times already but it is not the same. I am very twitchy, and when spearing fish i see i am almost in a panick mode to get the fish to me, and reload and see what is in my immediate area. i am hoping this changes but i was wondering if other Separo's have had these type of encounters.....
Luckily, you and your daughter were calm and reached shore safely.

Reactions: JonathanT
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT