• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equalisation problem

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
I was out hunting yesterday when I suddenly found I couldn't equalise my left ear below about 2m. Earlier in the evening I had no problem reaching 8m, and I have previously dived to just over 30m without any equalisation problems. I have noticed that I have a bit of a cold today and am a little bit bunged up, but that doesn't usually make too much difference.
Is there anything you can do to clear an ear that just won't go via the usual methods? Generally I equalize just using the muscles in my throat (or wherever they are) and sometimes I help it along by the old pinch-the-nose-and-blow method (don't know the tech jargon I'm afraid) and that has always worked in the past.

I have got the same problem, but since I have started nose washing not long ago, it seems to have solved my problem. Since I havnt done it for a long time yet it could be a coincident

Last edited:
That happens to most from time to time Tom - best thing is just call it a day when that happens. Not that much you can do when you are in the water and your ear won't clear. Try holding your nose and swallowing next time it happens, it might help a bit. Also, try equalising on the surface just before you dive. But in general, best not to push it and just call it a day...
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: misterlizard
Tom, I get the same thing after about 45mins to an hour on most dive days.
I lift my mask and give it the sea water up the nose and a few sniff and spit cycles followed by a sea water mouth rinse, I have no idea why it works, (probably something to do with the nasal passages and eustation tubes) but it works for me.

Reactions: misterlizard
Interesting Podge, will give it a try when I have issues next although I suspect not going to work in a lake

Were you cold in the water by any chance Tom? If yes it might help if you use a thicker suit or some extra insulation.

Also, I know it's probably obvious but make sure there is no trapped air between the hood and your ear. Try letting a bit of water in your hood next time you have an issue and see if it helps (if it does it might be worth making a tiny hole in your hood where the ears are..)
Posted via Mobile Device

My right ear does the same thing when diving a lot in one day. The only thing I've found is to use the "hold nose and blow" method above the water and then with almost every breath on the way down. It seems like as long as the pressure difference is gradual and small, I don't have a problem. Give it a shot. This usually works for me when it locks up and just doesn't want to clear at depth.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…