• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equalising at 60m+

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Walrus

Oz freediver
Oct 3, 2001
Hi All,
I'm curious

I've read and understand the technique that Eric Fattah uses to equalize at great depths but wondering what people did before this.

ie Mayol & Majorca, Pipin...
I've read that Pipin & Umberto used 'Water equalisation' past 100m, but what did they(or do they) do at 50-100m.

Were they also exhaling air into their cheeks, then using some method to equalise once they got past the point where there is no air left in their lungs ?

If not, how the jeepers did they do it ?
Super stretchy lungs ?

When diving down most people lungs keep compressing until they reach their Residual volume, somewhere around 40-60m depending on the person ?
(Don't know the exact numbers just guessing)

Then past this where does the air come from to equalise ?

Any one got any clues ?

Thanks in advance,
Walter

Walter, those guys were in a "head up" position, which would make all the difference I think. Of course I've never done sled diving, but I know that heads up would allow more useable air for equalising. Dive to 30 metres on a line, noting the effort required to suck the air up into your mouth, then turn heads up, and sink further: you will notice that at that point it seems as if there is a lot more air for your mask and ears.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Erik,

I know Pipin & Umberto always did the sled rides "head up" like you said, but I'm pretty sure that back when Mayol & Majorca were doing it it was still heads down.

I know that's what they did in the movie, but then everyone who's seen it knows it's not very historically correct.

You're correct, they were heads down. I suspect they were using the same technique that Eric describes. Nobody was talking before the internet.
I discivered this technique on my own, after having problems breaking 26 metres. It came naturally as I pushed myself deeper, but took some practice. Maybe the early guys discovered it in the same way? Eric's article defined it, wheras I don't think Enzo and Jacques were telling people about their methods.....not a whole lot of people were asking, either!
Chers,
Erik Y.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…