• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

equalizing technique...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

merio

Jan 26, 2005
Hi there,

I want to learn how to equaliz with-no hands (forgot how it's called).
i've been told that it's like a yawn.
ain't working for me, i just dont get it.
:head
i can do frenzel... if it matters...

pleas tell me how you have learned \ did it for the first time.

thanks.

Hi merio,

Welcome to DB. This subject has been discussed a bunch. Try a search for "hands free" or "equalization. Read it all(there will be a lot) and try a few things. Then you will have enough background to ask some specific questions that can help you with your particular area of diffficulty.

Good luck and enjoy

Connor

Thanks

I've read some articles, and have some questions:

1) Do you have some sistem to train hands free equalizing
(I mean 1. do this... 2. do that...)?
2) Do you need to push the air somehow,
or will it reach the ears automaticly
(because of the pressure in you'r lungs)?
3) Why dosen't any air dripp from you'r nose?
4) Because the air dosen't come out from the nose
I guess you need to equaliz pressures in your mask by frenzel?
5) According to what I've read, you can't transfer air from you'r lungs to you'r mouth at a certain depth. why is that?

Thanks again,
And forgive me for being such a bother. :eek:

1) Do you have some sistem to train hands free equalizing
(I mean 1. do this... 2. do that...)?

Haven't seen such a document, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist

2) Do you need to push the air somehow,
or will it reach the ears automaticly

There are a couple of methods for hands free equalization. All I've heard of involve opening the eustachian tubes voluntarily. As you know, there's no external force needed for two volumes with different pressures to eqaulize, all that is needed is a passage of air between them.

Traditional equalization mehtods use "brute force" to open this passage, ie. create mechanically such an intense pressure in your nasal cavity that it will force air into the eustachian tubes. However, if you can open this passage voluntarily, by controlling the muscles up there, no mechanical pressure increase is needed.

The most common hands free method is a kind of swallowing motion, that seems to clear the tubes for most. For example I can do this pretty well if going head up or horizontal, but not when completely inverted. A similar method is the BTV, which is basically voluntary opening of the tubes.

Some people do a sort of frenzel variant, where they'll use the hydrostatic pressure of water or mask as a counter force for increasing pressure. Same principle as in pinching your nose, but more delicate. This method also requires some control of the eustachian tubes.

3) Why dosen't any air dripp from you'r nose?

See above. Because the techinque has to be subtle enough to be supported by the mask or water pressure.

4) Because the air dosen't come out from the nose
I guess you need to equaliz pressures in your mask by frenzel?

Yes, if I understood the question correctly

5) According to what I've read, you can't transfer air from you'r lungs to you'r mouth at a certain depth. why is that?

Because your lungs compress when you descent, due to increasing pressure. When they compress beyond a certain volume, you won't be able to voluntarily squeeze them further, which is required to force air out. Normally our muscles (mainly diaphragm) do the compressing when you exhale. But at depth, you will reach a point where your muscles can't compress the lungs further, and thus no air comes out.

For most, the limit is at about 25-35m. After that, you need to apply special techniques to go further.

jome covered it pretty well. If you search in more detail, you can find many descriptions of how different individuals achieved "hands free". There appear to be many different routes. I'd be more specific, but my version of btv was there even before I started diving and I still don't know how I do it. One thing I'm sure of. If you can ever figure out how to clear hands free, practice will strengthen the muscles and nerve pathways and make it easier. The hard part seems to be figuring out a technique in the first place.

Connor

Thank you all for your answers.

Just one more, about question 5:
I know about the compression of the lungs under pressure,
but if you increase the volume of your mouth
(jaw down or cheeks out (reverse packing))
the air should travel to the sub-pressure zone in your mouth,
shouldn't it?

I guess I'll train it in the pool- trying to equaliz hands free in 2 meters.

And a little about me:
I'm from Israel.
I'll be 16 next month.
started divind 2 years ago, as a spearfisherman.
I'm training about once a month (when I go to the red-sea)
with Erez Beatus.
PB's:
Static: 5:01 minutes.
Dinamic no-fins: 53 meters.
Constant-weights: 25 meters.

Reactions: DeepThought
hello merio
i bet you can make it.
i never equalize my ears going down i never felt any pain up to today.
my e-tubes opens automaticaly..but i never went below -20m.
my pb's 2:30 statics yesterday i test it...in water 1:15 max(cos' i am smoker!!!)ya 16 yours 5:01 perfect!!
i can tell ya how i managed it...
clean your brain and forget valsalva/frenzel or something else..
never think that while i am going down my ears need to eququlize and i don't have to use valsalva or frenzel !!!Think twice my ears need it but my cerebellum gonna do it!!!..
let your brain do everything !!!
how ya gonna learn?...
tricks:
1:eek:n the surface forcely draw a very little sea water from your noise.it will make your e-tubes wet
2:before going to deep make one times eq. use pinch your noise and blow(on the surface) ...
3:keep away airs in or around of your ears..make sure fell the water around your ears
practice:
make a plain on a paper...4 m,6m,8m,10m,12m,14m,16m,18m,20m
first day: you will dive 4m never go( 5m never go 3m) fix your brain 4m and concantrate and relax 2 min between dives (20 times)
each time do 2: and 3:(not 1: it is need it at the beginning) NEVER FORGET!!!
secondday: 6m (18 times)
''
''
''
20th day:20 m(4 times)
around 10 meters if you fell a little bit pain...do it otherday 10m again ...if ya fell a no pain go to next level!!!
don't mix 20 days ..maybe 30 days maybe 45 days..depends on how you control your brain...i managed 24 days work!!!
DON'T PUSH YOUR HEARS!!!FEEL COMFORTABLE....
the idea came to me when i was in Calimnos/Greece ..i met a very old person 5 years ago who cary on his life taking spunge around -50meters ..i asked him how you equalize your ears?
he said..GOD DO IT!!!! hahaha
i think it is coded our DNA ..
i hope this will help ya!!!
sorry my english is bla bla...

Last edited:
there are so many different tech's for diving its confusing! I think most have to find their style thru trial and error! I dive down head first until around 7 meters and then flip feet first and drop like a stone. Always clearing my ears on the surface. After doing a few of these I can then dive normally and clear my ears by just swallowing.

Sometimes simple tech's are the best one's mate.

Hi sedate,
Surprisingly I've understood your letter! :)

It's not safe to have water in your ears! It can cause a serious infection!

I don't have any easy access to deep waters.
Yet, I'll try it in a pool (without the water-in-the-ears part).

And diver-marc,
Simple tech's are the best, but the one small promblem is that they
don't work for anyone.

Thanks both,
merio.

3:keep away airs in or around of your ears..make sure fell the water around your ears
it means enter water..stay on the surface before you wear your head cap left/rigt/back move your head and wear your head cap(?),it can't enter into your ears..drum will blocked the water definetally!,otherways there will be airs around left/rigt ears.
i dont beleive it makes infection,merio

Progress

Hours of practicing in the pool are starting to show results.
I can control the valves.
I have equaliz my left ear in 2 meters after 35 seconds,
each time a very small amount of air enterd my ear.

1) Sould this equalizing technique be that slow, or fast, like the regular one?
2) In order to equaliz, you shouldn't do a thing, apart from opening the valves?
3) My right ear nearly wasn't equalized at all. am I doing something wrong, or is it just the structure of my head?

Thanks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT