• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Equalizing... What the Frick?!?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Alright, i'm a very novice diver, last spring my best was 20 ft. in the ocean (no weights). I read about this over the winter and began taking freediving seriously this year. I had a few dives this year, none more than 19 ft., just me swimming around enjoying the scenery. Today i decided to see how deep i could get because i had pretty good supervision. I have 3 broken toes on my right foot, so i had no fins, no wetsuit, no weights or weight belt, no snorkel.... all i had was my swimming suit and a mask.

I used three life jackets tied together as my float, and i rested on those to breathe-up. I swam down, touched the bottom, came back up with a minor ear pain, my equalizing must not have worked. My uncle was freaking out, asking me how deep i went. I said about 15 ft., but after taking our anchor rope (which has markers on it for depth) i learned it was 25 ft. I was pretty excited, because with no fins, no weights, and i didn't even take a full breathe-up. I couldnt get a good breathe all day. This is cold, freshwater lakes in Wisconsin, it's not warm yet. I took a 3/4 breathe, swam down, touched the bottom and looked at the anchor line. I was now 33 ft. down, and i could have gone more, but my ears would not allow it.

I know how to equalize (pinch the nose, push, should relieve the pressure) but it was NOT working at all. I equalized at the surface and all the pressure left, but i could not go deeper than 30 ft. the whole day, because i could not figure out how to equalize right. If i swim down to 10-15 ft. i can feel the pressure, and when i stop and equalize there im fine, but when i get deeper i can't get anything to work. I could really use any suggestions, i want to break this barrier!! Thanks.

I had exactly the same problem Skars. Like Eric and yourself, the valsalva only worked to about 25 feet. After reading and practicing the Frenzel as explained by Eric in the link above, I've been able to equalize as deep as I can swim! Last September I was limited to 25 feet due to lack of equalization, but this month I hit 112 feet with no equalization problems at all.

Read and practice! Hoping to see you at the Freedive-apalooza if I make it there!

Cheers,
Aaron

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT