• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Estuary Spearing / Flatties

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
Didn't know if this would be considered fresh water so please move if I'm wrong posting here!

ESTUARY FISHING (UK)?! I have always looked and figured NO VIZ. However maybe you could see 1ft? and scramble around on the bottom for flaties? I have never hunted these but have read it keeps a few of you amuzed during the winter season. Have I got it all wrong, or could you hunt for flatties (dabs) with a hand spear. I've no idea how shy these fish are? OR, are people fishing for the flaties off the beaches.. There are some shallow sand banks where the water looks very clear now i think about our estuary more. Maybe at lowtide in shallow water could i find these fish?

I know good Bass are caught in this estuary, but I figure the viz would never be good enough to spot one?

I think i'll wait for a reply before I start forging a hand spear at work!

I used to use a hand spear for flatties when i was very young when my parents didn't trust me with a speargun :crutch Just check if you can legally spearfish in the estuary as most are breading areas for fish.:chatup

Hi Pav, my in-laws live on the Gannel Estuary in Newquay, Cornwall and it's normally crystal clear at certain stages of the tide. It is more a dive for the appreciation of the what's in and around (shrimps/fry/crab etc.) but you can also get to see sea trout/bass and mullet. However, it is illegal to shoot trout or salmon, but you probably know that. There is always some size fish hunting to be had within the mouths of estuary's.
cheers

MOST estuaries are considered bass-nurseries in the UK and it is VERY ILLEGAL to shoot or line-catch bass in them, don't even try it.......!!!! I'm not sure what the situation with regard to flatties is.

Pav, the United Kingdom bass nurseries are well documented http://ukbass.com/seabassandfishery/inshorerules.html and there are many more that are not nurseries including the one I dive in/around. I will take a size bass in that estuary mouth and certainly a flattie!. Also the act of using a boat is the problem not the diving from the shore. I do NOT advocate diving in a bass nursery from the shore though, as it is not something that is appreciated. Kind of a mutual respect arrangement between 'fishing' associations.
*quoted text - "The prohibition on bass fishing in nursery areas does not apply to fishing from the shore. However it is expected that shore anglers and their associations will respect the need for this prohibition and return to the sea any bass caught within nursery areas."

Gannel Estuary below...

Regards

P.S. The UK Marine Special Areas of Conservation are here.http://www.ukmarinesac.org.uk/uk-sites.htm

Attachments

• crantockbeach.JPG
    crantockbeach.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
ahh the idiot feds ripped up the only beach in newport that was made just for locals, now in the back of the parking lot they put an eel grass growing place in. its supposed to bring back wildlife and crap but they just screwed up our beach. but back to the topic, yes it is very illegal to spear ANYTHING in some sort of conservation area. even just going in there can be illegal sometimes, let alone touching anything. sometimes the feds even have guards to watch those places and to keep people out. i think it is all just a federal conspiracy and that those places should be ripped up.

Hypersquid1 said:
yes it is very illegal to spear ANYTHING in some sort of conservation area. even just going in there can be illegal sometimes, let alone touching anything.

Hypersquid, not sure what you mean by ripping everything up/conspiricy theories etc???
We happen to be discussing United Kingdom scenarios in this thread. Over here you can have a voluntary marine reserve, but that does not mean it is illegal to spear any fish in it.

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT