• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Euro guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dynema is another name for Spectra, a line made of Arimid fibers that resists cutting and can take a ridiculous amount of strain. It's big in sailboat rigging, though it doesn't do well when it's not allowed to dry.

sven

Originally posted by Abriapnea
My smallest is a 110 , when messing in caves you can "choke" the rubbers to prevent dinging the spear.

This isnt like "choking the chicken" is it? :D

Seriously but, how do you restrict the power of the RA bands? I've often passed on shots because I dont know what else is ina cave behind my target..

btw Sven, they dont break if you use them right.

As the saying goes:

Power corrupts,
Absolute power is kinda neat..

Originally posted by Shadowkiller

btw Sven, they dont break if you use them right.

Correct SK ; but we're dealing with people who like HEAPS of bands and other extras to make spearing easier . I am no great fan of the RA , but definitely rate the railgun per se .The railgun is for divers who want to improve themselves to get good fish ; SOME of the Riffe users want to "improve" their gear to achieve the same .
Only my opinion of course . I know hundreds of very satisfied RA users happy to vouch for it .
OH , Btw. choking a gun is grabbing the band with your free hand right in front by the muzzle to dampen the power .

Last edited:
Originally posted by icarus pacific
Dynema is ..
Thanks, Sven!

I'd look that up, but I'm already sure it's not available where I am - poor countries are not very much into yachting usually ! :)

Ivan

:mute :mute :mute.........Peace,Peace. One's gun is one's best...fair saying.:D :D

Wishbone,
If u go into a fishing shop, they sell Spectra/Dynema under different names, ask for the lastest tough non-mono filament and non-Dacron fishing line. They will either give you Kevlar or Spectra, 180lbs maybe max. Many brands to choose from. Good luck.

Wish,

Been digging some for you. I just recalled they call the new strong lines as super braids, Kevlar included.

Kevlar as far as I know only come in yellow color.

Spectra been very popular and many people been tweaking with it. Spectra resist UV ray better than Kevlar.

Here some info for ur reading :

Super-Braid Body Enhancements
By Staff

Innovative Textiles announces PowerPro, a braided line made from Spectra fiber, incorporating "enhanced body technology" (EBT). No, enhancing these bodies does not involve weightlifting or special diets. EBT is a new process that permeates the line's structure and will not peel off. Compared to other super-braids, PowerPro is rounder, smoother and more compact for better casting and improved reel performance.

PowerPro offers long, smooth casts thanks to less guide friction, resists burying in the spool and reduces whip knots and tip wrapping because it has such low memory. The EBT process means less water absorption and delivers improved knot performance - all while maintaining other desirable qualities of a super-braid, such as low stretch, high abrasion resistance and high strength at low line diameters.

Power Pro is available in three color choices (moss green, white, high-vis pink) and strengths of 10, 20, 30, 50, 65, 100, 150, 200 and 250 pounds. Prices vary according to line strength and spool size, with 300-yard spools of lines from 10- to 50-pound-test retailing for about $25. For more information contact Innovative Textiles Inc., 2105 I-70 Business Loop, Grand Junction, CO 81501; 800-650-8003; or circle product information number 203.

PINK COLOR !!!!! KInky !!!!!!!!!!!

Use the word "Super-Braid fishing line" on ur search engine.

Have a Kinky Pinky search !!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Kinky Pinky!?
More meaning to the phrase "penetrating the fish!" :D

Thanks! Will do the search and will ask around the fishing stores. I have a buddy that works in one so he'd be able to tell me everything about it!

I have a kevlar line and I got it with my new OMER gun this year. The shop owner told me he got all the new guns with such line - and it's black! So i guess that OMER will be selling kevlar line as a separate item soon...
I don't like it very much though... As I said, it's too thin and strong and when you get a fish with softer flesh the line simply cuts through it like hot knife in butter. Lost several fishes this way this season. The trick is to never let the line get too stretched.
Another problem is that it shrinks when the day/night temperatures vary a lot... Weird stuff...

IB

Hi WB. Are you perhaps getting too close to the fish ? Sounds like the whole spear is exiting the fish and you are fighting it on the line rather than spear/barb .

Originally posted by Iyadiver
:mute :mute :mute.........Peace,Peace.

No worries , Iya . Don't take my reply TOO ;) seriously .
Sven and myself just instinctively start licking our lips in anticipation when the Riffe / Rail topic appears yet again ...
Guess I should have inserted some smileys :eek:

Rig,

As a FL local and regular Keys diver, I highly recommend you not go below a 110 cm size Euro gun (for the FL Keys). My favorite is a 120 cm but the 110 is a good size to start with and is the most versatile. I killed my biggest fish ever with a 110 (50 lb amberjack). I shoot 20 mm bands on all my guns but you might have to start with 16's until you get used to the loading motion. I personally like reels (< 60 ft depth) but a float line is cheaper, simpler, and safer to use.

Scott T.

Originally posted by Abriapnea

. Don't take my reply TOO ;) seriously .
Guess I should have inserted some smileys :eek:

Right. And, "Ya think?!" :hmm

Abri raises a good point, instantly making me wonder who gave it to him, :D about how some just go and buy/build bazookas to augment and/or make up for their lack of skill or experience in spearfishing. Kind of like going after a cornered critter with an elephant gun...

My use of and advocating of Riffe gear is the result of what has worked for me and by doing a lot, as in a lot , (it's two words), of seeing what's been working for others. No sense in reinventing the wheel, ya know? That said, the ability of a Riffe, and indeed most guns, JBL, OMER, Picasso and Esclapez to have adaptations applied to them to suit the owner's dictates and the conditions. I'm a pretty patient guy and I have been mildly amused when out and about I see individuals of liitle experience and great finances go and purchase a setup that they saw in a magazine, thinking that it's the way to go. They reason that if that gun took a marlin, then the carp in that nearby lake are a piece of cake...:duh Hey, whatever floats their boat. But do I calmly sidle up to them and say, "Uh, I happened to notice that you have the spear in backwards.."? Nope.

Because as most of the members here that actually have some time in doing this know, TIME TEACHES . That means that once you get tired of missing, not having the reach, having to fumble with all sorts of bells and whistles falling off and tangling, and then having the shit break on you, well, you get to understanding things. Those experiences you don't get from a book or a video.

I've tried the Euro guns and most will look back on my posts and remember that I advocate them for the close qaurters work and have enjoyed their ability to move and track quickly, owing to their smaller profile. Those will also recall that I've wondered why a product is so touted when it's weaknesses are so well known, and I'm refering to the RA's inability to tolerate overpowering the bands. Hey up to that point, it's a hell of a tool! But if you get tired of the stalk or of not having the punch needed, and lob a second 20mm band on that badboy, ding!, there goes the trigger. No thanks.:head

The loyal following here at DB will also recognize my being fine with experimentation, thus my use and construction of a hybrid gun with the pipe muzzle to make use of the lower mass that Euro guns enjoy, and the conventional muzzle and trigger of a lumber gun. And I'm REALLY looking forward to unleashing that beauty at KK'03. But I'll also be packing my Island, a MT 4 and a bunch of other odds and ends that are the result of a lot, as in A LOT of trial and error. So when you see that I have 20 less or more inches of gun or an aluminum muzzle capable of 4 bands, but only use two, you'll know that I think that two bands are fine for that dive, and if I need a third, that I'll just reach into the bag, thread on a third and off and down I go... smooth.

The banter here about spearguns can and is applied to suits, fins, autos ex-wives and hammers Sooner or later you find what works for you and bugger the rest.

Here, have a smiley face...:t

sven

Fair enough Sven , and if you sift through my posts on the topic you will see that I also repeatedly warn against the inherent weakness of the RA and don't use it myself . It's the RAILGUN concept that I support , and again that is purely personal preference .
Let there be no mistake ; I admire your knowledge , experience and willingness to share the aforementioned . I am not currying favour , just want to make it clear my comments are not meant as a mudslinging contest as some seem to mistakenly believe .
Personal experience will dictate our respective preferences and as long as we don't get too obsessive and keep a open mind there is no harm done .
Have a smile :D

Never thought otherewise.

By the by, my hybrid has a rail; it's a bear to machine a track in a titanium pipe. :cool:

hi Guys

And im one of those idiots who went and put the extra 20mm on my railgun only to find the trigger busted.

Got out to the reef on the weekend awsome weather 70ft vis calm seas. My dad also tested his stealth 1.4m in a very bad way he shot a monster sized Coral trout which pulled his gun through the coral. 5 mins later the sharks have taken all of the trout except its head they also bit through the shooting line and cut it from the gun. Not only this but the shark bit the muzzle slicing his second rubber. What a diaster the trouts head ended up weighing 10lb. I wacked a few spaniards, and jobbies with my 150, but my gun came back safe.

cheers

Ouch! Man!, and all I got was cold! Tough trials there Ivan. Are those trigger's an act of God to get and replace?

sven

hey Sven

I almost forgot the near blackout part. The current was roaring at an amount of KNOTS it was around 45 to 50ft to the bottom. Not that deep but when your hearts goin flatout with sharks circling everywhere and trying to swim against the #$#% current. On one of dads dives he was on the bottom trying to free the spear and was out of air then one of his fins comes off. So he is racing to the surface from 50ft with one fin it looked pretty gumby, luckily he didnt black out. A few dives later I got his fin and spear back. Isnt spearin awsome. Dad was swearing for quite a few hours after as you could imagine loosing a trout of this size.

cheers

Rigdvr;

For cave and reef huntýng you can use followýng setups;

1-OMER Alluminium 100, twin 16mm, 7mm shaft
2-Riffe C2X,9/32 shaft,with three 9/16 bands or two 5/8

I don't advice to use single 20mm power bands coz you may want to use single 16 while cave hunting and double 16 when reef hunting.So you can adjust your gun from cave to reef hunting very easily.

Rig,

Let me clarify my earlier post: when I said I shoot 20 mm bands on all my guns, I meant a single 20 mm band. When I said you might have to start with 16s, I meant a single 16. As for gun size in the FL Keys, like I said before don't go below 110 cm. I think Anderson shoots with a 116 cm when he's in FL. If you want more advice from similar conditions I would consider what a SA (if he hunts up north) or Australian tells you. I don't think anywhere else has the size and types of fish we have here combined with the clear water that we can get. The good thing about a 110 is that it's right at home in 10-100 ft vis shooting fish from 1-50 lbs.

Scott T.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT