• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Euro guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Scott,

Since u know Omer stuff a great deal, that test in Hawaiian Skin Diver as in Omer www, 96cm Competition. Supposedly it only use a single band (must be 20mm ??? ) and can penetrate 3/4" plywood from an honest 14 feet. Penetrate as is the sharp point is pop out a bit from on the other side of the plywood. I am assuming it is a tri cut 6.35mm shaft...is it ?

I am just curious, I never try a tri cut Hawaain/Tahitian shaft and so thin as in 6.35mm. I am wondering if that penetration test is possible. Just curious because a single band and at that range seems rather un-realistic. I tested a +-90cm Picasso and even the shooting line is not 10 feet.

If it is true, it kind of excite me to get an Omer as tested for my collection. Do not have a Euro that I like yet, and Omer is not available in my country.

Thanks-IYA

I can help you tto IYA.

I am currently using OMER MB 86 30/86 old green barell version.It has one 20mm Black energy Bands on it.They are more powerfull you can imagine 65kg or 143 pound strech.My shaft is 6.35mm tricut hawaian.I hit 1cm square from 2 meter from spear.This is what i tested may be my gun is able to do much better but i don't tried yet.The impressive thing is that my gun is not the top end quality of OMER.THe OMER Master Comp. and Alluminium is high end for OMER. So i can bravely say OMER Master Comp. 96 can make it.It has different shape barell.It has small wings of the front and lowered band axis and muzzle.This is what i meant accurate in my first thread that about spearguns.I even heard better comments about OMER Alluminium spearguns.Now i am wondering about the accuracy of the MT3? Is it has more or less same accuracy with enclosed track, 9/32 shaft, and with twin 16 or trible?

I know I've been gone a little while but DAMN...lots of info to ingest...:p

Originally posted by sturgeon
As for gun size in the FL Keys, like I said before don't go below 110 cm. If you want more advice from similar conditions I would consider what a SA (if he hunts up north) or Australian tells you. The good thing about a 110 is that it's right at home in 10-100 ft vis shooting fish from 1-50 lbs.

Hi Rig , I believe Scott is correct regarding gun size , with a 20 mm. band ; which I would recommend , you could spear fish well in excess of 50 lb.

Yo Murat,

Range 2 meter & 4.2 meter ( 14 feet ) is a lot of difference. If u can hit 1 cm x 1 cm from 2 meter, it is very accurate. If I can find a way to bring it into me country, I will want to get Omer first, then an RA ( me scared of the trigger ). Hybrid will probably be last. Then I will stop collecting spearguns. If I ever get dragged by a 40+ kg Tuna, maybe it will give me the drive to save some money for a Kitto or an Alexander. I want to start saving money to buy exotic airguns again. I only have 2 cool ones and 1 regular one. New models are coming with 8 shots capability. The airgun Field target competition is quite popular now in here, I already dream about it 10 years ago. My friends now are capable of shooting match stick from 30 meters off hand.....Son of a Bitch !!!! I can only do that with a bench rest. Now I already have 4 spearguns and no fish to shoot.........ha ha ha ha.

Remember Murat, if u ever buy any guns, accuracy must be tested based on the same power/band and range. Euro gun has keep recoil low by using 6.35mm and not so many bands. 6.35mm also has less frontal area at the tip and thus better penetration. A tri cut will even be better at penetration. Like a .22 pistol can shoot more accurately than a .45 Desert Eagle but impact wise...u and I know.

I am sure the MT3 with enclosed track is as good as u imagine it to be. My 81cm open track is so far so good. If I can maintain a 5 cm circle at 5 meters, I am more than happy. Don't expect a speargun to shoot like a 10 meter match pistol, the dynamics are just too complicated.

:D :D

Iya: If you dont already have a railgun try one! Dont worry about the trigger problem. One 20mm band is plenty of power unless you want to shoot fish out to 10m+. My style of shooting is instinctive, not aimed. I learned that using a recurve bow. I have a lot more success with the RA (compared with my Riffe) because of the great accuracy. I can take shots in any position and be confident of hitting my target. I chose the RA over the Omer because almost all the Bluewater divers in my area use RA's (with 2 16mm bands). The ones that dont have Riffe's.

A 110 RA is a great combination of manouverability and power. If the penetration isnt good enough the tip needs sharpening! Mine can punch through a Silver Drummers head on and exit through the tail. Thats about 50cm of flesh and bone! :king

If only getting a speargun in 2 the country is hassle free, I will be the happiest man. I will one day get an RA but it is not the priority now. I realy would like to learn what RA can do in hoping to learn more of different gun's nature.....need 2 keep the title of Mr Experiment.:D :D.

I believe I can use different guns in different situation. My experiment with 7mm Hawaiian shaft is realy cool with my 124cm #2 Riffe. I think it is an eye opener. It swing much faster, sweet recoil and very accurate. It has rail too like an RA but I call it open track...he he he he.

Can't send RA / Omer by post, it will get confiscated. If I ask someone to hand carry if they ever visit Australia or US, everyone decline...HOW ???? If they do bring in, it is a 50/50 chance that it will get confiscated too at the airport. Don't ask me how are spearguns sold here....too long to explain. Simply put, what is already in the country is legal, whatever new ones need to enter....... need tons of requirement...............like my MT#0. I think getting a wife is not that difficult...ha ha ha ha.

What about if someone where to post you all the bits seperately?

The only problem I can see is the trigger part. It looks too much like a gun butt for customs to let it go.

I can get an RA for $450 (australian) just to give you an indication..

Iya;

If i were you, i buy Beeman Super 12.Best airgun that i have ever seen.Only problem is the price tag:D :D

Murat,

That Beeman Super 12 sell for US$ 3,400 here, too expensive. In UK it is only US$ 1,500 more or less. I do not like the look though and a gun with a barrel like that if it fall ( I always fall in the night chasing the rabbit ) , it get damaged fast. Mine has the air reservoir below the barrel, so it is safer.

Shadow,

I did tought of that but still the pistol grip will be the problem cause that is what "trigger" the x-ray dudes. I have an import permit but not for RA, it was for my MT#0. It took 2 months to be approved and the cost u won't believe............ Then they tax U 30% CIF value. So AU$450 RA will come in my hand as $806 landed and so much more for the permit...SAD:waterwork :waterwork . If I play with the price, I save only say AU$100 on tax. How ? Worth it ???

Ouch!:(

The only way I can think of is to ship the handle in parts or in a metal box and hope customs dont x-ray it or get suspicious.

You could always do what my father did to get his air-rifle to Australia: Ship it on metal pipes through the company he worked for.
:hmm

Stick with it Iya! If you ever come down to Sydney I'll let you borrow my RA's.:)

Originally posted by Iyadiver
Murat,

That Beeman Super 12 sell for US$ 3,400 here, too expensive. In UK it is only US$ 1,500 more or less. I do not like the look though and a gun with a barrel like that if it fall ( I always fall in the night chasing the rabbit ) , it get damaged fast. Mine has the air reservoir below the barrel, so it is safer.

1500 dollars for US in england its 1200 pounds.

BTW i am waiting for your standart 2 test.You may want to test 2 5/8 bands with 9/32 shaft for me.3 5/8 bands with 3/8 shaft will be awesome:cool:

Shadowkiller ; seems we have similar preferences AND shooting styles . :cool:
Instinctive aiming seems to work well for me , the gun just zero's in and you "know" when to fire . I think most spearos hunt like this ; would be interesting to get some feedback . I was a bit baffled about the laser sights mentioned elsewhere , personally would find it distracting .

Well Abri, great minds think alike!:king

My gun points where I look when Im ready to shoot. Ive never tried aiming over shaft or anything like that. Too many years of Bow and Shotgun use mean I have little use for sights.:)

Abri...I also use a similar shooting style, when it's time to shoot it just "feels" right:cool: never had a real problem with this.

Eventualy everyone aim speargun by "feel". I do too, but for target shot on my plywood it is not the best method because I want to see the grouping of at least 3 shots aimed at the same dot. I want a reference "aiming". This is why I need some sort of sighting system, if I can ever get one. Just need to verify what the gun can do, later I do what I can do on the real fish.

The only time I shoot by real aiming is when I do small squids or when my boat crew ask me for Garfish, that fish is only 4 cm high even at 40 cm long.

When I was using my pneu, I heavily rely on the aiming sight because the 85 cm gun has no penetration power. My most prized fish was the Napoleon Wrasse, stop shooting this fish years ago and now it is protected...thanks God. I was taking those 20 kg upwards. My 8mm shaft with regular screw on spearhead can never penetrate its thick skin thru the other side, all I get is always those big round scale. Never had tri cut Hawaiian those days. This is one of the rare fish that had twice broken my 8mm shaft at the thread where we screw the spearhead. The short 85 cm shaft is so short and stiff and its machine thread for the spearhead is about 6mm, the weak link. It went wild on the rocks and Crack !!!!, it left me with a broken shaft. My 85 cm shaft never get bent, it just break. I got so frustrated and had no choice but to aim the eye, the only part that my shaft can ever enter. Funy thing with this fish is that it became tame when I hit the eye. Kind of regret that I shot those fishes cause in many part of the world I see them having no fear of divers and a pet at some dive locations. In my place, they never want to let you get close. Since pneu after pneu was my beginner guns, I did benefit from a good set of sighting system.

I also benefit good aiming by a set of sight in one of my lobster location, lobster by gun is legal here. There is a small cave like location of mine which is about 2-3 meters into the rock, I can't get in cause it has no height clearance. Inside it is bigger and higher. The lobsters love to hang head down in the crevice on the cave ceiling, all u can see are their antenas, none of the head. If I am lucky when waiting, sometime it might move just a bit lower and I get to see the two unicorn horns, that is the time to shoot. There and that, I need to aim with the sights and none of my friends with band guns would ever take that kind of shot. Now that Sven told me of lady's stockings, I will try to find a rectractable pole.... :D :D, just in case....he he he.

So guys, there are places where "precision" aiming by some sort of sight is do-able.

gotta love those lobsters! We have them on some of the deepwater rigs and at one highly unknown limestone ledge.(both spiny and slipper lobsters) Cool part is, since the state of Mississippi does not acknowledge we have a population of lobsters, we are not limited by Floridas seasons, bag limits, or take restrictions! Granted it is not an evrday event to find them but when you do they are usually stacked up bigtime!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT