• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

euro slip-tip options?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

scrounger

May 1, 2003
i wat to set a 100cm cobra with a slip-tip. i will be using 2 18mm bands and a 7mm shaft, but i dont know what would be the best tip to use. The only problem it that sometimes there are rocks and i know that is a big problem to find a tip that can take a hit:naughty . so what are some good choices for me to make?

I presume that the shaft has 6 mm threads? If so, I don't think there is a better choice than Mori's 9/32" tip. The tip itself is just 9/32" in diameter, and the adapter is 5/16. If I've done my math correctly, the 9/32" slide ring will be a bit sloppy on the 7 mm shaft, but still won't be able to get over the adapter shoulders. It comes rigged with Spectra rather than cable, so is very low drag.

I wouldn't want to shoot it at a rock, but that is a problem for any slip tip. You can't have it both ways.

Morifish@aol.com
(310) 628-8082

Attachments

• IMG_2966.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2967.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 178
Plamen's tips are indeed nice, but they are 5/16" in diameter. I would think that with a light Euro gun, it would be best to have as slim and light a tip as possible.

Most "standard" threaded euro shafts (including 6.5mm ones) have an M7x1 thread, although i dont know about the Riffe euro shafts, being American they may well be 6mm.
It is probably easier to get a 6mm thread put on the shaft than change the thread on the slip tip. I get them done by a small engineering company here, but they tend to swear a bit about about threading the hardened 17-4PH shafts

cheers
dave
Spearguns by Spearo uk ltd finest supplier of speargun, monofins, speargun and freediving equipment

Bill I know about the rock problem first hand:head . I didn't know if some were able to take a bump better than others. it is a shame when you just don't see that rock and you end up loosing your fish and your tip.:vangry . i know picasso makes a good set up but i am not a fan of the steel they use. it is built into the shaft with no adapter as a very nice way to cutdown bulk

You should have heard them swearing when i brought in my 52 rockwell shafts to be threaded! rofl rofl

Devoto makes cheap and beautiful slip tips.
Cheers
Giovanni

Nice to know, but could you give more details? What do they look like? Where could we get them? What size threads and slide rings are available?

I am not sure. Devoto spears are heat treated and have the typical brown dull color like the Seatec. They don't reflect light and so they not as conspicuos as polished stainless steel. They are as hard as it gets I would assume. The hardness of the base steel I believe is limited by the machinability before heat treatment. To drill the line and pin holes can be very difficult.
The only thing the spears don't have that I think is desiderable is the single barb flush in the shaft (like Seatec's). I ask Mr Devoto why it does not make them and he said that they used to but stopped because of complains of breaking tips in way of the barb. I hope he will make them again.
Another thing I like are the shark fin notches. They are way smaller then most on the market and offer very little resistance. I modified mine with a a very thin grinding wheel to create a bigger seat for the 2mm Seatec Smoby wishbone or denema. I cut a bit into the shaft so I have the best of both worlds (sharkfin and cut shafts).
Without the modification holding a thick wishbone may prove difficult.
The slip tip I got is the one one page 3 of the catalogue pag_6.jpg
I like the design with the cable passing through the treaded bushing.
Cheers
Giovanni

what hardness is devoto shafts?

Go to the website and see all the nice stuff they have. Articoli subacquei :: Devoto Sub :: Articoli Subacquei
They have various models of the slip tip for different diameters (and thread sizes I believe). I got the art. 81 tonno (tuna), as slim as a needle but with long and strong barbs.
The website is in italian and rather basic but you should be able to understand it, check all the pages. As for buying from them I don't know. I just drove to factory/house and bought what I needed.
They have a lot of nice stuff that is not even in the catalogue. Things like C4 falcon for 260 euro. They are as cheap as Italian gear can get. If they don't speak English and you know somebody that speaks italian have him to do the talking, you'll be happy with the products and prices.
Cheers
Giovanni

Nice to know, but could you give more details? What do they look like? Where could we get them? What size threads and slide rings are available?

All spears are not created equal. Rob allen spears are really hard compared to most shafts. Trygons is supposed to be even harder but they cost so much. I still think its worth it to buy a top of the line spear because unless you lose it somehow, they last forever.

Although I have had a few very close call, I have never lost a spear. But I never broke or bent one behond repair either. For 99.9% of situations most aftermarket spring steel shaft are good enough I would say.
Personally I don't mind paying for top of the line gear but I think a lot of people do.
Devoto's shafts are a great bang for the buck.
Cheers
Giovanni

does anyone other than picasso make a shaft that is built to accept a slip-tip as a one piece unit? i like that idea and the option of beieng able to buy more tips that fit on the shaft.

Ciao Giovanni

I have never lost a spear. But I never broke or bent one behond repair either.

A trip to Central America or West Africa to shoot some cubera snapper will take care of this flaw of yours rofl :t .

Seriously now. I've one of those Devoto Tonno tips but haven't used yet. I'd be willing to give it a try in a 7.5 mm Rob Allen shaft or, maybe, a 7 mm [Brazilian] Divecom shaft. Do you tuck that protuding cable somewhat? It looks that it would deviate the shot.

Here you are. These are made by rob allen.

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 181
  • image008.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 156
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…