• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

European spearfishing championships Penichie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

eric aqua

Apr 17, 2005
Has any one got any news from the area? Last thing I heard all the teams had been out the water for two days due to massive swells and no viz and the weekend forecast was was not much better.

Got some news now. Weather conditions are better today, but the wind is still strong and the comp had to start with a 30 minutes delay.
From what I hear there is zero visibility and zero fish. Almost everyone's stringer was stil empty after two hours. It will be over for mid-afternoon. But if nothing changes, it's the kind of comp where one might rank very high, or even win, with 3 or 4 fish only......

As predicted, only 30 fish in total caught on day 1.
Portuguese Jodi Lot won the fraction with 4 fishes. Best of the British is David Pearce: one fish gave him the 11th place. Best of the italians got one fish too. No fish for the other british and the other italians. No fish for any of the croatian team members: world champion Gospic ened with zero fish too!!!

Day 2 is being much more fishy. I havent' seen the final stats yet, but the spanish were on the lead. British Kevin Daly and David Pearce are catching many fish today.

Last edited:
Hi there fox! It's been a while, eh?

Team Uk was 9th place on day 1 (but with one fish only, as Italy was 8th, but with one bigger fish...).

I know not many people are interested in comps here, but I'll keep you all updated just for the records.

1) JODI LOT – Portugal, new european champ.
2) DAVID PRIMO – Spain
3) ANTONIO LINARES – Spain
4) RUI TORRES – Portugal
5) SANTIAGO LOPEZ CID – Spain
6) MANOLIS GIANKOS – Greece
7) DIMITRIS BARSAKIS – Greece
8) NICOLA SMERALDI – Italy
9) ALEXANDER GALAKTION – Ukraine
10) NEIL BARNARD – South Africa
11) DANIEL GOSPIC – Croatia
12) AHMET TEKIN – Turkey
13) MATTI PYYKKO – Finland
14) DAVID PEARCE – UK
15) ANDRII LAGUTIN – Ukraine
16) DARIO MARINOV – Croatia
17) LUIS PRATA – Portugal
18) HUSGIN TASDIBI – Turkey
19) MOHAMMED IKLEF-ABDESMEO – Algeria
20) ANTONIO BURATOVIC – Croatia
21) CONCETTO FELICE – Italy
22) ALEXANDER UTKIN – Russia
23) PLAMEN ARABADJIEV – Bulgaria
24) FABIO FIGLIOLI – Italy
25) SAMIR TIBLALI – Algeria
other 18 following....

Reactions: foxfish
I can't manage to find the official score table yet. I've seen images of stringers full of Bogues (that must be the english name for boops salpa, I guess?), a fish that you normally take by ambush on the bottom when it's choppy and no other fish show up. A few bass have been caught, but you can't make a comp on bass, especially if you can't see sh!t underwater.

Reports say the second day was more fishy, and that the english (Pearce and Daly) and italian spearos took about a dozen fish each, but couldn't make it to rise up to the higher ranking, after the disaster of the first day (scores of day 1 and 2 are combined together for the final score).

It must have been a hell of a hard comp. World champion Daniel Gospic couldn't make it in the top ten. Teams were all concentrated in a few areas, in the desperate search of the eventual clear spot. They all finally resolved to give up the search of quality fish, ambushing bogues as the only chance to make some fish.

haha, it wasn't much fun to be honest, i'll try to post some kind of report later once i've waded through the last 3 weeks emails at work!

haha, it wasn't much fun to be honest, i'll try to post some kind of report later once i've waded through the last 3 weeks emails at work!

I am looking forward to the report. Especially how you and other competitors attempted to spear in such tough conditions.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…