• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ever speared one of these in the UK

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JRH

Dec 8, 2007
Has anyone ever speared one of these in the UK. I think it's a trigger fish. Leathery skin, small mouth and a big spike on the dorsel. The flesh was white relatively bone free and had a mineral flavour, a bit like sucking a beech pebble, quite pleasent.

I took it on the West Coast of Southern Ireland last summer (not quite the UK but close). Immediately it was shot it holled up and used the spike to anchor itself in.

See photos attached

Re: Ever spearde one of these in the UK

No photos attached mate but sounds like a trigger. They are speared quite often down here in Guernsey. Very good eating, very meaty.

To attached the photos click on "manage attachments" below a new post, browse to your picture and upload it. Make sure it is within the size restrictions or it won't upload.

triggerfish.jpgWas it one of these? - Grey triggerfish speared off Southwest coast of Ireland.

Yes we have those here in south florida! Touch skin delicious meat ! seriously don't let their hide trick you their meat is very very good.

Reactions: Old Man Dave

Sunfish,
Yes, thats the one. I've seen similar fish on Australia but had no idea we had them in the UK. I'll try and attach my pic again.

Attachments

• Kerry1 2007.JPG
    Kerry1 2007.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Kerry2 2007.JPG
    Kerry2 2007.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 176

Here's a better picture

Attachments

• Kerry3.JPG
    Kerry3.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 155

hi guys as OMD said me and JamesT had a load over on the gower really really good eating! but there tough cookies we had trouble dispatching them and when james put them on a stringer they ate half his wetsuit rofl
mine are all gone now along with a few bass and mullet, my freezer broke down just b4 crimbo so after eating as much as my belly could handle i had to give it away to friends and family :head

Do these come in shoals? or individual fish? .. Deep water or over the shallow reefs? I'll keep my eye out for one next summer!

Do these come in shoals? Yes
or individual fish? Yes as well
Deep water or over the shallow reefs? Both, seen them in 3m and caught them in 20-30m (rod).
I'll keep my eye out for one next summer! Good luck

Reactions: Pav

They also hide in holes in the reef. The day I shot my first one I saw 2 more in other holes.

Not much mention of the fact that they bite. Boy! do they bite. Still got the scar to prove it.

Dave

Reactions: Pav

I can confirm they bite OMD because "I" caught one once & it still bit "Dave" rofl

all the triggers ive seen have been in shoals and big ones at that 50-60! JamesT was shooting 2 at a time! they were in 5m of water! few weeks after i went to tenby and i didnt have to get in the water just stuck my head over the side of the boat and let rip they were in 3m of water but both shoals were over a bed of mussels

and one from Portland last year..... I know lots caught up and down the South coast last summer.....

Attachments

• trigger small image.JPG
    trigger small image.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 197
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT