• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Excalibur 2000 - Shaft

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fert

Sep 11, 2003
Hi,

Is there somebody who knows the length of the shaft of the Excalibur 2000 75cm ???

Hi Fert,

Has general rule for euro spearguns, shafts lenghts are bettween 40 and 50 cm longer than barrel lenght.
40 cm plus than the barrel lenght is normaly the stock size for most of the brands, only Picasso spearguns have 50 cm + shafts from stock, that I know of.
Since a 75 is a short speargun aimed for cave hunting or low visibiliy there is no need for the longer shafts.
I only use longer shaft (+50 cm) on my longer spearguns, (100 or bigger).
I find it more easy to aim with.

cheers,

Hi Rui,

Is there any specific reason that you preffer 50+ over 40+ on long guns like 100-110?

hi Murat,

Basicaly, it has to do with the way you aim. I aim by trying to aligning the shaft with the fish, using the shaft tip as reference So a longer shaft is nicer.
If you aim by aligning the top of the handle with the muzzle a longer shaft doesn't makes mutch difference.

I used 40+ shafts (stock since in my omers) for a long time and missed a lot of easy shots, normaly they would go high. Once I decided to use a longer shaft in one gun and my precission incressed drastically.

You should try it one day and see if it helps your aiming.

Cheers,
Rui

ha i see....

I look at the tip for aiming too but i don't look at it from much above of the handle. I lower my head as much as possible to see the tip of the spear through the space between spear and muzzle hole, then i allign it with the target point its rather hard to do i do this on stationary targets, may be i can try longer shaft to decrease aiming time, although i noticed my shoots goes high sometimes when there is not much time to aim.

Did you notice any change in shooting characteristic while using 10cm longer thus little heavier shaft??? Increase in range? Decrease in accuracy?

Hi Murat,

The speargun that I use most often is 100cm with a 150 cm shaft of 6,3mm diameter and 18mm slings. It's a pretty fast and accurate setup for me.
As I said, the longer shaft improved my aiming a lot and specially confidence in shooting.
When I do aspecttos I generally have my speargun along the side of my arm or haft stretched laid on the bottom and I only stretch my arm and gun when fish make a pass.
Sometimes this has to be a pretty quick movement and you don’t have much time to aim by aligning the handle and the muzzle. Just point and shot.

I guess if you use light shafts (6,0, 6,3 or even 6,5mm) you wont notice much difference in the speargun weight, and get used to it quickly. You should try it and see if you like it and helps.

Here is a picture of one of my last hunting sessions of last year in Azores. Notice the small barracudas. Try hitting that at almost the end of the speargun range!! Those are really small and I usually let be, but there where some cats starving near my entry point.
Anyway, they are really small targets. The other fish was shot inside a huge lava tube almost in the dark (no flashlight at the time) therefore the bad placed shot.

cheers,

Attachments

• im001700.jpg
    im001700.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 279
I also use 18 bands and 6.3mm on my 100, but will change the shaft for 6.5mm on 110 cm gun coz 6.3mm is too much fragile around rocks. If you think that those barracudas offers a small target you have to see our target especially while spinefoot hunting..:D

While you are making aspettos, and streching your gun when you see a fish does not scare them? In here even the slight movement will scare them immediately. So when i "try" to do apetto i lay down preferably back of the some rocks and strech the gun before the fish come in range.

For the type of fish that I normally look for it is better not to have the arm fully stretched. Manly small costal pelagics like those barracudas (same species that you see in the Med), jacks, bonitos and bluefish.
They can show up from any directions sometimes from your back or side and will get near you if keep the speargun close to your body. It's quicker and easier to maneuver and point it to any direction they mite show up if you have it already close you than try to swing the speargun or pulling it back and pointing again.

But, different fish different techniques!!

Reactions: Murat
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT