• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Exeter Fishing finally on!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
Sunday was partly sunny sea was calm and I was in it looking for the bass... couple of first dives...nothig in sights, I feared the worst, again scanning empty reef...but as i drifted over the reef carried by the "gentle" current always present at Budleigh reef I was grey back of a old friend Bass from the surface. my heart started to pound and I dove down to wait... and waited and waited. I didnt think bass learn anything, but this one would not come back to investigate. anyhow The hunt was on! I did couple dives after that untill it was time to swim back to the west side of the reef.. (last summer my record was three times against the current I made it to drift over the reef for hunting) as this was about the third dive this summer my legs felt like lead and I could not stop my heart pounding as I held on to a marker float at the surface. Second drfit over the reef was simillar as the first, but the last aspetto right at the east corner of the reef the bass appeared behind me. I couldnt believe my bad luck.. they didnt seem to want to swim around me at all.. I started swining my 110cm gun as slowly as I could, but that spooked the fish.. I was so disappointed! but I waited still and like from a dreat the bass came back right infront of my gun.. I picked one and shot, bass took off me swimming right behind it as fast as I could... it was the end of my aspetto time, but I knew the shot was poor and I should follow the fish untill it would stop under some kelp or a rock, and finally it came to a halt and I surfaced hungry for air. I couldnt see the fish. I had let go of my gun and I saw the white handle floating at the bottom. I hoped the fish had not ripped itself free when the line had gotten caught in the kelp at the bottom. I did few quick breaths to gather my power and dove down to search for my catch. and there it was jammed between two rocks, not moving.. I took good hold of its tail and head and pulled it free. First Bass of The season!!! and it was good size for first fish shot this season..
I decided to take some photos, and changed my gun to camera.. and looked for intersting subjects... I found a spider crab and started filming, while filming I looked bit to the right of my target and good heavens there was plaice lying there not two feet away from my, its red spots glaring.. I got up to the surface and pulled my float to me quickly got the gun and impaled the fish.. there it waited for me to get it.. ok I was done little more filming and I was exhausted, so far so I could barely make it to the shore, and once I got there I just sat on the beach right at the waters edge for good ten minutes before I had anough energy to climb up to my gear and start packing my stuff...
And it was cold! not only in the water but on land as well!
the bass was 4,5pounds the flattie was 4pounds and today they are on the menu for all the people coming to my house

Attachments

• budleigh fish.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 262
  • budleigh fish002.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 244
and this is how it all ende d..
thank you to my french house mate the flatfish got beatiful and tasty crust...very good stuff.. chef is born..:cool

Attachments

• thend.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 222
Way to go, Bro'.
I have to seriously start practicing in order to take part to budleigh 'swimming contest'..
Hopefully our waters clear up soon. As it is now, there is simply no reason to go spearing here..

Tuomo

you should not do this. I am getting hungry when see those

Portland fishing is on!!!!!!!!!

This 14.5lb bass was caught on Monday. I didn't catch it (unfortunately!) I won't name the spearo that did in case he wishes remain annonymous.

..........And yes, that is a Cressi Commanche 90 speargun next to it!

Last edited:
nice bass.. need to go back to my home beach in search for the monster bass.. I know it is still hiding in there..

I am eyeing for tickets to get my butt to Portland for some fishing and BBQ!

Pekka

Managed to get in the water this afternoon and went to my favourite patch to try and break my duck so far.Driffted over the sand in search of flatties but none were to be found.On my way back to the reefs and weed a school of bass appeared on the sand below me rubbing their flanks against the bottom,and yes they disapeared very quickly.More dissapointment but luck was soon to change.As i moved over a reef there below between two rocks were a couple of bass, i aimed,fired and hit the first bass right through the top of the head and killed it stone dead.I missed one more bass and shot another about the same size as the first and all this took about three hours of swimming.Both fish were shot from the surface and many more bass were seen including one large one that i spooked.When i was on the shoreline cleaning the fish a Grey seal appeared just off the shore no more than 15 feet away.I tried to take a picture with the camera on my mobile phone but all you can see is a black dot in the water.His appearence had me pondering on the way home that if we have dolphins,small whales,turtles,seals and the odd tuna of the south west coast how long before we have our first confirmed Great White siting.How do our Australian,South African and californian breathren cope with this magnificent creature while spearing.I beleive Great Whites have been spotted in the Bay of Biscay which isn,t a million miles away.It's nice to break my duck but too tired to cook fish tonight so pizza for dinner.

Good work Glowwore , I am glad to see some other fishermen from little closer to home nail some fish.. I have been so disappointed as I have been diving and seeing nothing interesting in the water.. But it is on now!!! I am going in agian next weekend, perhaps on friday already for some more action and soon more action on film as well as I think I can catch enough fish quickly to use more time filming.. marine life in general but hopefully the schoaling bass and mullet swimming by as well...

Safe hunting,

Pekka

Good idea filming and waiting for the fish to come to you.I've actually seen a french spearfishing dvd where the guy has a camera mounted on his speargun!If you come to the BBQ i'm sure the boys will be able to show the dvd.What was the recipe your french mate used on the plaice it looked great.

110g bread, (white)
75g parmesan cheese
50g butter, melted
parsley..little bit

blend the bread and add parmesan, mix with butter and add parsley and a french thouch of food magic! voila!

grill first from bottom if fillet is thick and above for 7min.

Pekka

Suspect that the DVD is "Nel regno della spigola" by ex world champ frenchman Jean-Batiste Escalapez. Have a look at Pekka's picture and enlarge it, then read the name on his wetsuit!
Dave

Last edited:
Will try to find out what the DVD was called,Buster Lung should be able to tell us.The footage is superb as is the quality of the fish.A good lesson to us all what ever your levell of experience.Thanks for the recipe pekka will try that one if the flatties finally turn up.

Good Hunting

did you guys see the spot where I nailed that bass..... serious gutshot... this weekend is wasted on recovering from cold, but roll on next friday and I am in again for some fishing and hopefully some good photos of bass and other life underwater..
Anyone been fishing in Sidmouth this year?
How about Torquay?? I think I could make it to Torquay some of these days if I get little guidance where to go.. I dont want to waste my day scouting for a reef, but new hunting spots are always interesting..

Best of luck to you all hunting here SW England may the bass be with you..

Pekka

Hey Pekka i'm getting over a cold aswell but have you or anybody ever been in at Port Gaverne on the north coast as i have the use of a caravan up there and the owner says the fishing there is good.If the fishing is good up there then a spearo BBQ could be arrange there.

Hi BF

I was fishing at Port Gaverne last Tuesday. Unfortunatly all I found were small sections of the reef with very little kelp cover. In terms of fish there were lots of big Wrasse and and a few small Pollock. Bait fish like Sand eels were also few and far between, which tells a story. Perhaps, leave it for another 3 or 4 weeks and hope we have high pressure systems over us to give the kelp time to grow at a desent rate.

Thanks for the report it sounds better down here at the moment.Maybe i should try to talk my colleage into buying a holiday home in the tropics.

Fellas, it is official I am going diving with my brother to Lizard point this coming summer on July 15-19 we are staying at lizard poit and hopefully have car at our disposal even for a some part of the time to explore the area..

Have you guys been diving there? any good for fishing?

Will let you guys know later on how we do.. hopefully catch some awesome fish from there..

Pekka

Hello Pekka

My first post.

Intending to start spearo(ing?) in coming weeks when my back is fixed (bit knackered at the moment). I've contacted Dave O'Callaghan but have yet to meet anyone from the Exeter club yet. I'm base in Honiton and fish (rod and line) round Torquay quite a bit. I'm dying to get in the water around Hopes Nose (usually really clear) to see what I can see (and retrieve lost tackle!). Anywhere from Hopes Nose up to Babbacombe looks good, plenty of weed, rocks and clear water. Obviously, dodging fishermen and boats is problem on the weekend but there are many secluded bays along here. Species include pretty much anything you want (for the time of year).

I'm due to get my essential kit soon (gun, fins, knife) and hope to score some decent fish (unlike with my success rate with rod). Maybe we could check the place out when I've regained my fitness.

Is it fairly easy to reach the reef at Budleigh? How deep is it? I've not taken up freediving proper ever but used to swim every day in my school days (I'm only 27 mind), mostly under water. I've seen mullet in the river mouth at Budleigh (got sucked into it on a rising tide last summer when snorkelling, which was fun!).

Does anyone really spearfish at Sidmouth? I've surfed and fished there (rod and line) and the water is always like chocolate.

See you soon maybe

Jez

Did someone mention "Chocolate!!"
Hi Jez welcome to DB, Dave O C is a member here too, I dont think he has posted but you can PM him from this site, there's a few other members here from your neck of the woods too

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…