• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Exeter Fishing finally on!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Honiton,

This thread is from 2005......try posting in the devon and dorset threads you might find someone down that way. I live in Taunton so will give you a bell when I'm next diving if you want.

Nick

hi nick yeah that would be cool, i ve only just started though so may get in your way, how long have you been spearing for? what sort of breath hold times can you do and depths etc i can do a 3,50 dry static and can do 50m swimming underwater with no fins would that be good enough to dive with you?

Hi Honiton, I've been spearing for 4-5 years now albeit intermittently. My dry static is about 4mins too but I've found that this does not really equate to spearing as you tend to be swimming around a fair amount and so you don't get a true recovery. My general bottom times are around the 1-1.45 min mark which is easily good enough. My best advice is that your breath holds while spearing will get better through improving your general fitness and diving, diving and more diving.

The places I dive normally have a max depth of 10m but generally its around the 5-8 meter mark. You'd be surprised that you don't need to go deep for lots of fish..even the big 'uns. I shot my PB double figure bass last year in only 5m of water and I know lots are shot in much less!

I'm away until the end of March but hope to get back in the water soon after so will give you the heads up.

Nick

cheers for the reply and advice, yeah i know about the bass in shallow water i do alot of beach fishing and have caught bass about 6 feet off the beach in like a foot of water.... maybe here from you march time cheers grant

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…