• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Extreme Ironing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
A few Saltfree'ers will be taking part in a Guinness World Record attempt on 10 January for Extreme Ironing at NDAC, Chepstow. We have set up a justgiving page to raise money for the RNLI through the event.

If you are taking part - please let friends and family know and see if they will sponsor you

If you're not, and you value the UK lifeboat service (or are just dead impressed that we are getting in our cold lake in January) - please visit and sponsor us

You can see donate on Justgiving - Saltfree's RNLI Fundraising Page

Thanks

Sam

(and I promise I won't get involved in any more fundraising for a while after this)

This is a great cause, we all count on these guy's to fish us out of trouble and they are volenteers...

Lets keep this thread at the top of the "today's posts"

Don't be shy!

Thanks

Just in case anyone didn't hear, the world record WAS broken during this attempt. Out of 126 divers that went in the water, 86 were documented to be ironing within the alotted time window, including ALL the 4 freedivers I was filming.

Was a fun day out, I should dive a single tank more often it was soooo much easier than the rebreather! What made the day even better was the lovely christmas dinner we had in the Boat afterwards.

Well done everyone. The total money raised for the RNLI has not yet been calculated, but at the last count it was somewhere close to £8,500 which is absolutely fantastic.

Brilliant! Well done everyone.

And still waiting for the review of the party ;)

You can see the video here
[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/2800987]Extreme Ironing Underwater on Vimeo[/ame]

but sadly none of the freedivers made it onto the footage

Party review?mmmm... put it this way, we were just about ALL staying in two b and bs withing staggering distance from the Boat which pushed up the red wine consumption considerably - but as Laura and Bryn weren't there, not a single person ventured to Jimmy Deans

I have to say that the presents this year were fantastic - maybe that's because Dave and Dave weren't around to contribute their amazing late night garage items : )

Benny - you were missed and I would have raised a glass to you but I forgot to make a speech so I didn't......

xxx

You forgot to make a speech? Sounds like a good night was had then :friday

So sorry we couldn't have made it, i'll definitely have to make it back there some day!

Cheerio,
Ben

Once I get the tape back from the guy who's making the DVD I will try and put together a small montage of the footage. I'll tell you now that there's not too much footage, as the batteries were being very temperamental on the camera (probably not helped by the cold) but I can probably pull a couple of minutes of footage together.

Reactions: bite ya
no worries, simon, just a few seconds of evidence of our madness would be fab!

just spoke to Dave - pontoon is half covered in decking now..... : )

Dave rocks...Can't wait to see it finished!

Padowan, give us all a shout once the footage is ready.

Attachments

• extremeironing.JPG
    extremeironing.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 313
I'm on the news tomorrow night! Getting the NDC t-shirt embroided with SaltFree on to give it a good plug!

Reactions: samdive
I saw the extreme ironing scuba event on Spotlight last night. I think they were on top of the aircraft using scuba.

hi Chris

I'll give you a real Saltfree shirt next time I see you to say thanks!

I think the free divers did a grand job in the water, being it was around 5 C, most of the rest sat between 45 and 10m in scuba gear, the BA 146 was one of the more photogenic spots and the vis there was ideal for video, the same could not be said for some of the other spots chosen. It was a cracking day out with some terrific team spirit; with almost raised 10k for the RLNI at the last count it does allot to dispel the myth that we are all armchair divers out here in cyberspace.

Sorry to barge in (hope you don't mind - I was one of the scuba camerapersons) - but what depth were the freedivers in?

[I was on buoy L - supposedly 12m, 21m in the event - and in a wetsuit for the whole event so I have some empathy... I look forward to your footage - me, I downloaded my video onto my laptop, and copied the tape too, before Stuart - last reported busily editing - took it off me.]

Best wishes :)

David P.

Last edited:
You can see the video here
Extreme Ironing Underwater on Vimeo

but sadly none of the freedivers made it onto the footage
A quick intro, I'm Stuart, the guy who's looking after the footage from the Extreme Ironing event...

Sorry that you guys didn't make the quick edit, Gail (one of my top side camera crew) didn't have much time available to put that piece together, and so only used a couple of the tapes for source (we had 12 in total from the day!!)

I've still got Padowan's tape (thanks Simon), and will use as much as I can on the end DVD... there's also a nice little inteview with one of you chatting to Lisa (whoever it was looked frozen!)

I'll get Simon's tape back to him as soon as I can, although want to keep it handy for now, in case I need to recapture for any reason...

Cheers

Stuart

Last edited:
We (freedivers) were group J - first buoy from the pontoon in about 8m. The freediver who got interviewed was Virginia Bell.

It wasn't actually that cold - warmer underwater than on the surface!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT