• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Family Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
Wife

Attachments

• evelyns 1st fish.jpg
    evelyns 1st fish.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 694
10-year old daughter

Attachments

• morgans chub with her.jpg
    morgans chub with her.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 690
6-year old daughter

Attachments

• marandas snapper.jpg
    marandas snapper.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 672
My eldest son won't want to go hunting with me and he is already 8......he is a poor swimmer...:D

My second son at 4 loves to play with my MT0 but only in my room.... :eek:

My daugther is only 16 months, so....still a long way to go.

First the wife wanted to try. She started screaming with excitement. Then the 10-year old wanted to try; she had not been interested before. We threw some crackers in the water and she hit a chum on her first pull. Then the 6-year old wanted to. I said no, she was too young. She said, how about if you help me? She hates to be left out of anything! Her nickname is “Me-too”. So I put one hand on the gun to help her aim and to keep it from being pointing at anyone

We started swimming for some dog snappers on the surface and she became excited and fired when we about 17 feet away. I told to wait until we were close. We found another one and she pulled the trigger. That was the end of my hunting day. From then on I was regulated to supervisor as they all took turns.

Fortunately my kids are good swimmers and snorkelers and love the water, especially if there are fish in it. This was their 5th snorkeling trip to the rigs in two years. We are fortunate that the Texas State Aquarium is in our city so we go at least once a year. They love to identify the fish at the aquarium and the rigs.

They love swimming under the water too. The little one has a 25-yard dynamic and the older one 37-yards. I quiz them about SWB and they know not to try dynamics or statics unless I am there watching. Neither one was the best on their summer swim team, but they both were the best at holding their breath and swimming underwater. They wish they could compete in a freediving meet instead of the usual swim meet.
don

Last edited:
Thats lovely...

I wish to have spearing addict father as well.

Looks like a beautiful family Don.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Great pictures Don! Looks like lots of fun!

I just recently finished certifying all of my kids for SCUBA and am looking forward to some time in the water with them. My youngest (she already 19 and the last to be certified) has been afraid to dive until this year, but once she tried it she fell in love with it.

Qucik question for you: I have a two year old grandaugther who loves the water. How young were your keds when you got them in the water with mask, snorkel, fins and such? Did you have any particular problems with equipment size and fit?

Joe Andrews

Thanks Joe,
My oldest started at age 4 and the younger at 3. Both of them started before they could swim. This wasn’t a problem for the oldest as she, without any pushing, challenged herself to swim. We had to push my youngest to swim without her gear. She wasn’t able to swim the length of the pool, freestyle, until this year, although she could under water.

All their gear, mask fins and snorkel is/was H2O Odyssey for children. My oldest has graduated to adult equipment. I purchased the mask and snorkels from a local dive shop and the fins on the internet. I have seen the same fins with different brand names.

I have found the stuff from Wal-Mart and sporting good stores, even if it’s a name brand, like U.S. Diver, to be sub par. Even with the smallest H2O Odyssey fins, which were 11-13 Boys / 31-32, my youngest had to wear socks and then I would duck tape them if we were in the ocean. I have seen some nice looking, long swim fins that come in small foot sizes. I would check the swimming supply stores if I had to do it over.

Have fun with your family. My oldest got swimming pool certified through the scuba rangers program when she was 8. I think next year, her and my wife will get fully certified. Even though I would rather they become freedivers, I believe scuba is an excellent foundation.
don

Don't know how I missed this topic!
Family pics are a great way to get to know our 'Family' on the Forum.
You are blessed with a beautiful family, Don!
Thanks for starting the topic here...
Hey, Iya, let's see some recent pics of your crew!!!

Joe, my father taught his grandson to swim...now a dad himself at 31 (where did the years go?) so c'mon and post those pics of the granddaughters :)
---My son and daughters are surfers and swimmers too. A bit camera shy, they are 22, 19, and 17. They seem to 'tolerate' mom's enthusiasm for oceanswimming and freediving quite well :eek:

Last edited:
Originally posted by jeadiver
How young were your keds when you got them in the water with mask, snorkel, fins and such? Did you have any particular problems with equipment size and fit?

All of them were "making fountains" with their snorkels by 1-1/2 years. The oldest was offshore at 8 weeks, the middle was grabbing crawfish by 3 and the youngest finally made 15 feet this last Summer. Veeeery fulfilling. :cool:

Thanks Don, I think I'll start checking shops and such this winter, I'm putting in a pool this year so she should have plenty opportunity to play with gear on. It takes a bit of a vacation to get them to the beach to play in the surf, but she loves our annual family week in Carolina. I'll get some pictures next year and be sure to post!

If were going to make this into an about children thread, what about children learning to equalize? This seems to be the biggest issue since their Eustachian tubes are not as developed (open) as adults. What are your experiences and what, if anything, seems to help?
don

P.S. Iya, we are still looking for some cute Indonesia children pictures.

WIFE

My wife doing her best "Manny" impersonation.;)

Jon

Last edited:
Daughter

My future dive buddy.:D

Jon

Last edited:
ME

A pretty rare shot of me, both in front of the camera AND wearing scuba gear. This was taken during a discover scuba gig we did this summer at a camp for kids with disabilities.:cool:

Jon

Last edited:
Father-in-law

So how many people would include their father-in-law?:duh

Mine happens to be pretty cool. Besides owning a dive shop, and a couple of charter boats, he also has been an instructor for 30 years. We have had many adventures together out on the Great Lakes together over the past 10 years- from side scanning for shipwrecks to slavage jobs and film projects.

He's also a pretty cool grandpa- who happens to spend more time down at DESCO (Sven will know what that is;) ) than most other Grandparent's spend on the golf course.

Jon

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT