• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Farting and the Freediver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jodyfreedive

Sep 25, 2003
This is a smelling, embarrassing subject, but remember we had a thread on peeing in wetsuits once were a lot of people were relieved from their quilt by admitting to the behavior.

Here’s the problem, ever since I started freediving and training for it, I have had a lot of gas. Is it related?
Jody

Okay, I am embarrassed to admit, but I have had the same problem. I also had a lot of belching too. A little gas normally doesn’t bother me, but its got to the point it was waking me up a night.

I did some reading on the subject and read this from a med school professor: “The most common cause of gas/burping, however, is due to swallowing air while eating or drinking”. The medical term is Flatulence.

I believe it is my packing that is causing the problem. Since discovering this I have been concentrating on feeling it in my chest more when pushing the air down, but I would greatly appreciate any pointers on how to keep it from going into the stomach.
don
:confused:

Colon Fumes

I too have had this problem in the past and the trick is to use it to ones advantage. As a freediving spearfisherman, I am constantly looking for ways to attract fish. I have found that by eating a large portion of Black Beans and Rice with an Avocado and white vinegar salad the night before, has really produced some results with Mutton Snappers.

The trick is to release the "farts" in spurts, not as one large "Blowout". By using this method, I am able to control the rate of release and budget my gas wisely:eek:

I have also found that "Packing" can cause significant farting. When I drink a six "pack" of malt liquor, I tend to have the foulest fumes (alliteration at its best:D ). Furthermore, spearfishing in South Florida, we tend to encounter many Bull Sharks. I have discovered a very effective method to chase them out of the reefs. This is very dangerous, so please try it first at home in the presence of a porcelene toilet with some Gas-X or Beano in the medicine cabinet.

The trick is to combine Tostitos Lemon-Lime chips with extra hot salsa. After eating about 200 of these you must chase it down with a Dos XX Lager. The trick here is to use the Dark beer option. This must then be followed with two pinto bean burritos, chased with another beer. The meal must then be concluded with a spoonful of crushed jalepeno peppers. When in the water you must then aim your sphincter a few yards ahead of the shark, if you aim directly at the beast you will defeat the purpose.

The only drawback to these strategies is the tearing of my expensive wetsuit. Suprisingly, the tearing seems to be concentrated in the crotch area, midway from my scrotum to the opening of my colon. Good luck!

Sorry guys, but I just couldn't help myself:D I guess it's the result of a slow Monday morning. Interesting topic considering Thanksgiving is a few days away. ;)

Last edited:
well I must say that this is one way of starting a laugh.
and a fire!!!!!

but to attract fish? I didnt think april was here again!:D

Originally posted by jodyfreedive
Here’s the problem, ever since I started freediving and training for it, I have had a lot of gas. Is it related?

Sounds like you have the same problem I have and are swallowing air when you equalise. What equalising technique do you use? I used to swallow to equalise, but now use a constant nose hold and blow approach.

Not only has that increased my depth from 10m to 22m, but also lessened the trumpet fanfare after a dive.:D

Re: Re: Re: Farting and the Freediver

Originally posted by icarus pacific
You sure you're not my ex-wife?? :head

Quite sure...:D

Due to the lack of an appropriate smily, check below...;)

Attachments

• notworthy.gif
    notworthy.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 436
Reactions: icarus pacific
I'm thinking you and I should team up and go on tour, Erik.

The Sultan and the Guru out and about... the mind reels.:cool:

Originally posted by icarus pacific
I'm thinking you and I should team up and go on tour, Erik.

The Sultan:king and the Guru :blackeye out and about...the mind reels.....

....Do I smell December's Contest....?

Thanks guys and gals. I envisioned this thread to be both educational and entertaining. It’s been a little short on the educational value, but there has been some good information, which I am grateful for. The entertainment value has been excellent.
Jody
rofl

Reactions: thud and donmoore
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT