• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Favorite Type of BCD?

Rob9876

Jun 13, 2024
For you scuba divers, what's your favorite type of BCD. in some corners of the internet, people act like all experienced divers *need* to use a BackPlate & Wing (BP/W), and that jacket BCDs are mainly for noobs. However, I still love my jacket BCD, love the integrated weight system, love the big pockets, etc. And especially like how high I sit in the water when the surface is "sporty".

What's your favorite kind of BCD?

OK, I'll answer. In 1961 before those wrap around PCs had even been invented, I used something like a Backplate and Wing in Hawaii. A dive shop modified aluminum Sportsways backpacks by removing all the straps except for the waist strap and riveting on things like shepherd's crooks that came over your shoulders and mounting a horseshoe BC on it. They were very popular. To put on your tank you just dropped the crooks over your shoulders and fastened the waist strap. When you wanted to remove it in the water, all you had to do was release the waist strap, roll out of it, and hand it up to the guy in the boat. When those jacket PCs came along I couldn't imagine being wrapped up in all that stuff. I used those back packs for about 35 years until I quit scuba diving and went back to free diving. I recently sold them with all my other gear when I decided that 85 was the age to retire from diving. I doubt that anyone makes anything like that now, but the closest thing would be the Backplate and Wing. It has the shoulder straps to deal with rather than just the waist strap, but I would still much prefer that to being wrapped up in all that crap.

Attachments

• Hpack2.JPG
    Hpack2.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 49
OK, I'll answer. In 1961 before those wrap around PCs had even been invented, I used something like a Backplate and Wing in Hawaii. A dive shop modified aluminum Sportsways backpacks by removing all the straps except for the waist strap and riveting on things like shepherd's crooks that came over your shoulders and mounting a horseshoe BC on it.....
That's interesting -- I have not seen a BCD with crooks on it before!

That's interesting -- I have not seen a BCD with crooks on it before!
It was widely used in Hawaii when I was there but it was a conversion from a standard back pack and probably never caught on elsewhere. My impression was that it was preferred by experienced divers who liked the easy in and out with just one waist strap to fasten or loosen but beginners liked to be more securely strapped in.

Reactions: Rob9876
As an update. Since my original post I did buy a back inflate BCD to be a spare/back-up. It was fine in the water, though I don't think I had any better trim than I do in my jacket BCD. However, I still don't love it when I'm on the surface -- I know to not fully inflate and to lean back, but I still like how easy a jacket BCD is on the surface -- and how much higher my face is out of the water in a jacket BCD.

Reactions: Bill McIntyre
For me, it's all about the jacket BCD. While many seasoned divers swear by the BackPlate & Wing (BP/W) for its minimalism and customizability, I appreciate the comfort and convenience of my jacket BCD. The integrated weight system is a game-changer, keeping things streamlined, and I love having spacious pockets for stashing essentials. Plus, the way it keeps me high on the water's surface, especially in rough conditions, is a big bonus. It might not be as "techie," but for recreational dives, it's reliable and comfortable, and that's what matters most to me.

When people talk about how customizable a BP/W is I just always think: as for me, a jacket BCD with integrated weights feels exactly as Iike. If I were to get a BP/W, I'd add weight pockets, trim pouches, and accessory pockets (I dive solo, so I carry a spare mask, roll-up snorkel, etc.) -- and by the time I add all of that (even to the cheap DGX budget BP/Wing set) I'd pay hundreds more than my budget-friendly BCD.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT